Fragile Shells

sarahs31

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Waukesha, WI
Recently, I've had several eggs that are broken in the nesting boxes, one broke while I was washing it, some with holes etc. What's causing this. The girls have two dishes of oyster shells. Any other ideas?

I have had that happen even when i was givin them plenty of oyster shell.

From what i remember it was when my birds were younger.
now that my birds are older i rarely get rubber eggs,or weak shells.

I have a hen who always lays an egg with a big bulge in the side of it. I imagine some hens just lay eggs with deformalities more often than others.

* Egg shells have a little more to them than calcium, though it is the major component. Could be that for some reason, they are not absorbing the calcium in the o.s.. You can add a little ACV to their water. Calcium is absorbed better in an acidic environment. That's why I like calcium o.j.
wink.png
thumbsup.gif

Ok, got back from the feed store today with a fount of information. Several possibilities...
1. Lazy birds - mix the shell with the feed for a while in addition to the free choice dish.
2. A very experience chicken raiser recommended 18% layer feed for the best results. Well, I couldn't find it so I mixed 18% unmedicated chick starter with 16% layer crumbles for the last 100 pounds of feed. So, perhaps the chick feed is deficient enough in calcium to make a difference even when mixed with layer crumbles and free choice oyster.
3. Too MUCH free ranging and not enough protein. Leave them in the coop a little longer in the morning.

I've made some modifications along with purchasing the 18% crumbles from the feed store instead of the local farm and barn store. We'll see if it makes a difference.

Im not the most expeirenced with the feed thing but it sounds odd to me that 18% would be any better for the egg shells than 16% since isnt the % protien?

and wouldnt more free range mean more protien, as bugs are very high in protien?

Does protien content have anything to do with the egg shell?

am i wrong?

I think the % protein is associated with simple laying. Higher protein = more eggs? The 18% didn't have as much calcium (starter) and was possibly diluting out the calcium in the 16% layer crumbles. Yeah, they do get bugs but I think they are getting a good share of vegatables and plant material as well. I've been two days on the new feed and I only had one crack today and that was completely my fault. Coincidence? Maybe, but seems to be helping some already.

Back
Top Bottom