Frank blood in poop

Dishens

Songster
May 19, 2019
CT
Hi everyone. This is concerning my 14 week old Barnevelder hen. A few days ago I added a tablespoon of ACV in one gallon of water. The next day I found quite a bit blood that had been passed with dropping’s under the roost. That day, two more droppings had blood, amount much less. Next day, one dropping, less blood, and a clot passed. Today I witnessed the hen, blood in the dropping. Solid matter of all the stools normal. She isn’t interested in the fermented feed, but is out foraging in the pen. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture, she passed it in the grass and I didn’t have my phone with me. The rest of the flock is fine. Any thoughts and suggestions? Thanks

I would get some Corid and treat them all for coccidiosis. Corid is very safe and will do no harm if it's something else, but coccidiosis is very common in chicks and young birds, and can kill quickly. Corid is available at Tractor Supplies and and many feed stores. It comes in liquid or powder form, liquid is generally more convenient, but both will work. Usually in the cattle/livestock section.
Dose is 1.5 teaspoons of powder per gallon of water, or 2 teaspoons of liquid per gallon of water for 5-7 days, and then 1/3 teaspoon of powder or 1/2 teaspoon of liquid per gallon for another 5 - 7 days. Medicated water should be the only water available during treatement. For any that are showing symptoms, bloody droppings, lethargy, sitting puffed up or not drinking or eating well, give an oral dose directly in addition to the medicated water. Dosing for that is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

Hi everyone. This is concerning my 14 week old Barnevelder hen. A few days ago I added a tablespoon of ACV in one gallon of water. The next day I found quite a bit blood that had been passed with dropping’s under the roost. That day, two more droppings had blood, amount much less. Next day, one dropping, less blood, and a clot passed. Today I witnessed the hen, blood in the dropping. Solid matter of all the stools normal. She isn’t interested in the fermented feed, but is out foraging in the pen. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture, she passed it in the grass and I didn’t have my phone with me. The rest of the flock is fine. Any thoughts and suggestions? Thanks

Thank you for your quick response. I changed out the water. The difficult part will be the weight. I don’t think she will tolerate standing on a scale. She doesn’t like to be held. I have no idea what a 14 week old Barnevelder should weigh. Any ideas?

Thank you for your quick response. I changed out the water. The difficult part will be the weight. I don’t think she will tolerate standing on a scale. She doesn’t like to be held. I have no idea what a 14 week old Barnevelder should weigh. Any ideas?
I don’t think it is necessary to weigh her for Corid treatment but just weigh yourself then pick her up and weigh both of you, then subtract your weight. It’s good practice to know what they weigh, I’m not a good example of that however...

I understand I also need to replenish vitamin B1. Is this done with a vitamin-electrolyte supplement or polyvisol infant drops? Also, does anyone know the amount of infant drops to a gallon of water?

Don't give vitamins at the same time as treatment, it may reduce the effectiveness of the medication. Corid works by limiting the uptake of thiamine in the coccidia so the coccidia cannot multiply and they starve and die, if you give thiamine in addition to the treatment then it may not kill the coccidia. Wait until treatment is complete before giving vitamin supplements. Corid is very safe, so the risk of overdosing is negligible, you would have to give a truly enormous amount for that to happen. Your bird probably weighs between 1 and 2 lbs, so just estimate for the oral dose. I use a digital kitchen scale zeroed with a plate on it so they can stand on a larger surface, they only have to be there for a couple of seconds to get a weight. You can also give the medicated water mixture several times a day if the bird isn't drinking well on it's own. The important thing is to get the medication in so it can work. Once the bird is feeling better it will start drinking well on it's own. There are lots of different poultry vitamins that can be given after treatment is complete, just make sure it contains thiamine/B1. Poultry Nutri Drench is one.

I agree with starting Corid today.
Do not wait.

No need to weigh the birds for a Corid treatment and please don't give any vitamins while using Corid.

Also...be sure to treat everyone with the Corid.

Thank you everyone. I added Corid to the waterer this morning. My only question remaining, is it necessary to also administer an oral daily dose to the bird with the bloody stool? She is eating and drinking without a problem.

Back
Top Bottom