Frankie the Rescue Chick - Boy or Girl?

CalBickieMomma

Crowing
Jul 27, 2019
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Hey awesome chicken folks!

So, about a month ago I became a new chicken mama (again) to an orphaned chick. The story was that the mother and siblings were hit by a car and some visitors from out of town ended up with the baby. A friend of mine ran into them and called me. When I told my sister, she thought that story was bogus and that the chick was bought as an Easter present and was no longer wanted. I was thinking maybe the baby - if it was bought at a local feed store - might be a Cuckoo Marans and some other people here agreed (see my original thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-breed-is-this-rescued-chick.1456814/).

Now, the Little is 4 weeks old and there is more green/yellow on his/her legs (they were white when he/she was a few days old), so I wonder if he/she is really not a Cuckoo Marans but a mix after all . . .

BUT my main reason for posting this particular thread is to see what you all think: is Frankie a girl or a boy?

For the longest time I was convinced he was really a boy. I'm pretty good at picking out the boys by week two, but this little nugget keeps me guessing. He/she acts very roo-ish (always grrrrrs when my hand gets close to pick him/her up and when ever I do pick him/her up he/she acts as if I'm murdering him/her, extra-rambunctious, and his/her wattles even looked like they were turning pink earlier this week - basically, performing behavior I have seen in all my baby roos). Having said that, he/she likes to cuddle once he/she settles down in my hand and his/her legs don't appear too much bigger/thicker than the black sex link I got as a buddy for her (the BSL is a week younger). I know leg size isn't always a guarantee, but it has always proven true with me.
Anyway, I'm posting a bunch of recent pictures (taken earlier today) to see if any of you experts out there might have an idea :wee . Thanks!!!

IMG_8740.JPG
IMG_8736.JPG
IMG_8732.JPG
IMG_8731.JPG
IMG_8729.JPG

I'm hoping Frankie's a girl! I have sooo many boys right now (love them, but they don't love each other! :lau ). I was totally convinced she was a boy, but her body shape and how she's been holding herself lately is making me hold out hope for a pullet :fl. She/he still has a few weeks to go to really lean either way, so it's like walking on pins and needles over here ;).

Update on Frankie (who is now Phoebe again because Frankie isn't really fitting her/him)! So, I'm keeping the hope alive that Phoebe is really a pullet (the only thing that has me holding back is that as soon as I am confident she's a pullet, she'll definitely turn out to be a roo :lau ).

Anyhoo, here are some pictures I took yesterday of the little bean (5 weeks old now). If she does end up being a boy chicken, the name will revert back to Frankie, but I'm calling her Phoebe for now (Phoebs and Phoebers for short ;)).

IMG_8865.JPG IMG_8853.JPG IMG_8852.JPG

Back
Top Bottom