Freak of Nature - Or how to fix a broody hen

Blisskat

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 8, 2009
My husband and I are a little bit addicted to the "banty box" at our local Orscheln store each spring. It's a lot like a grab bag in that you never know what you're going to end up with.
So, last year we ended up with a cute fuzzy little blonde/gold chick with feathered feet. Unfortunately, she had a bad case of pasty butt. Not knowing any of the cures we have since learned about on this site, my husband dutifully devoted about a month of expelling chicky poop from this chick twice a day until she finally outgrew the problem. She grew just fine until it came to getting her pin feathers.... she just didn't. She stayed fuzzy looking. Then, one day my husband shows me her extra toes! (Okay, by now you silkie fans are laughing at our expense!) We didn't know she was a silkie until I signed up for this website, and have since learned that she is a pretty little buff silkie. But the name of "Freak of Nature" has stuck (sad, I know).
I like her pretty well, but my Husband still doesn't like her at all, and it's been made worse by her going broody on us this past month. He battles with her over the nest every day.

I resisted the banty box this year, but my husband did not! He brought home 10 of them!! They've all been doing well, raising up, but we're slowly realizing that we have two Seabrights in the mix. We do not like Seabrights at all... and are looking for a new home for these two. Anyway, this last Friday, I too, succumed to the banty box and brought home three of the sweetest little cotton balls. I am fairly certain that I have two black and one gray Silkies. I put them in with the other chicks, and right off the two Seabrights attack the Silkies! (This is the biggest problem we have had with Seabrights) I must admit my heart hardened against these little Seabrights, so I put them down with the adult population to let them survive or not....

Well, to my suprise, little Freak of Nature has completely taken over these two Seabright chicks, and is an absolute wonderful mother to them! She hasn't been in the laying box since. I think even my husband would admit that by her behavior she has redeemed herself.

What a story. Fixed her little red wagon, huh?!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom