Freaking out about Chicago record breaking cold

Ventilation reduces humidity but right now my air temp is 60% humidity.
Say What?! Those numbers make no sense.
Ventilation will only reduce humidity in the coop to equal the levels outside the coop.

Hang in there @Chickenfoundme ...not quite as cold (-9°F with-30°F WC) over here,
but lots of snow that just.will.not.stop.

Say What?! Those numbers make no sense.
Ventilation will only reduce humidity in the coop to equal the levels outside the coop.

Hang in there @Chickenfoundme ...not quite as cold (-9°F with-30°F WC) over here,
but lots of snow that just.will.not.stop.

That is what we said aart. What is your humidity?

I’m confused regarding the humidity. It’s currently -6F with 51% humidity. The coop inside is +6F and 53% humidity. Is that good or bad?

ETA: my phone says it’s -9F with 63% humidity. Not sure why such a large difference?

I’m confused regarding the humidity. It’s currently -6F with 51% humidity. The coop is +6F and 53% humidity. Is that good or bad?

Your chickens are creating some heat and also creating some moisture (breathing and pooping). However, your humidity is only a little higher than outside, so this is OK. However, maybe if the coop has had a little more ventilation, then it should be the same as the outside. But, this 2% fluctuation could be the normal variation that the monitor you are using has inherently.

So is the concession so far that they will be fine? Coop is well ventilated, Water is heated. Food is good. but I not have another heat source. Weather breaks in 2 days!
:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl
We're in the same boat here in the Mid-Atlantic, but not quite so low with temps. Still, it's a whole lot colder than my biddies are used to. We're losing the Frostbite Battle with one of my cockerels - a very sweet OEGB with an absolutely huge, (now temporarily) GORGEOUS single comb. I wish I'd brought him inside before this cold snap hit. I feel so awful!

Back
Top Bottom