Freaking out, my duckling just hatched and is flipping around

Cjturner

In the Brooder
May 9, 2020
So my duckling pipped April 13th around 4 in the afternoon, made a good size hole then nothing till he hatched at noon on April 15. When he hatched he had lots of slime over his face so I wiped it off but he seemed to be flipping on his back and not standing, skinny but bloated in the belly. I left him in the incubator today (its now 11:11 pm) She still looks like a drowned rat and just seems to drag around the incubator and then flip over to his back. Then keeps flipping till I put my hand in there where he rests his head on my hand. The other 4 in our brood hatched perfect. I would like to do everything I can for him, Ive been told to try sugar water to perk him up. I am aware these things happen and sometimes we have no control but Id rather try everything we can then have to explain the circle of life to my daughter who has fallen madly in love with our late bloomer.

Have you tried taking him out and drying him off? Rolling or falling over isn't a death sentence when it comes to newborns, sometimes being stuck in the egg shape so long it can take them a while to get a hang of that whole "duck shape" afterwards! Can you take some photos? Does he have splay leg?

Have you tried taking him out and drying him off? Rolling or falling over isn't a death sentence when it comes to newborns, sometimes being stuck in the egg shape so long it can take them a while to get a hang of that whole "duck shape" afterwards! Can you take some photos? Does he have splay leg?
We just had him wrapped up and dried off. Then we put him in with our day olds. He seems to look all the way behind him then falls over. He will kind of hop drag himself to the wall where he props his head up. I've tried to coax him to drink a little water or eat and he just reacts his head. His legs dont seem splayed but his belly feels bloated

Could we get a video?
It's either this or a neurological issue.

I'd give him a few drops of liquid B vitamins and put him in a warm dry brooder with his hatch mates. His belly is probably still full of the egg yolk he absorbed right before he hatched. The incubator grid is wet and slippery so that makes it hard to balance. An old but unfrayed terrycloth towel in a cardboard box under a heat lamp will give him better opportunities to walk. And just getting dry will make him look better. Just make sure if he's sharing the brooder that it's big enough he isn't getting trampled by everyone else. If you're going to have to leave him in the incubator lower the temperature to about 85, put a soft textured liner on the floor, and take out one of the windows for a few hours to let the humidity go down.

Last edited:
I'd give him a few drops of liquid B vitamins and put him in a warm dry brooder with his hatch mates. His belly is probably still full of the egg yolk he absorbed right before he hatched. The incubator grid is wet and slippery so that makes it hard to balance. An old but unfrayed terrycloth towel in a cardboard box under a heat lamp will give him better opportunities to walk. And just getting dry will make him look better. Just make sure if he's sharing the brooder that it's big enough he isn't getting trampled by everyone else. If you're going to have to leave him in the incubator lower the temperature to about 85, put a soft textured liner on the floor, and take out one of the windows for a few hours to let the humidity go down.
Ok. We put him in with his hatchling pals and he seems to do much better except hes still floppy and has no interest in food or water. Where do I get these liquid b drops

Walmart, many drug stores, and any grocer with a supplements section should have them. Mine were $8, but you can probably get a smaller bottle for less than 5. You can add four or five drops to the drinking water but since he's not drinking just put the dropper in his beak with his head tipped back and squeeze in a drop or two. Repeat once a day for two or three days.

He looks like hes still working on his balance and strength. Mine are a week and a half now and still clumsy. They end up flipped on their backs all the time. How's he doing today? Did you try the B with him?

Back
Top Bottom