Freaky CSI Chicken night

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LoneCowboy, Dec 2, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Songster

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    DH and I were watching a really weird CSI Las Vegas episode on DVD tonight and when it was over, I had to go put the girls away and it had gotten really dark. You know how you get a little freaked out when you watch stuff like CSI?

Anyway, I go out and shut the first coop, no problems.

Go to the next coop and something isn't right. I hear noises and see chicken shadows all over the run. I'm starting to freak out a little and can't figure out what's going on, why aren't they inside??

Well, I had cleaned the coop and shut the pop door so the girls wouldn't come in while I was working, and I forgot to open it. I had girls perched and sleeping all over the run. [​IMG] I turn on their inside light, and start picking up and putting each girl through the pop hole. Each one Fawhapped me with her wings and I moved her. OUCH!

So I got them all in. I thought all would be fine now. Oh no, not fine. Go in the next coop, and the perch is down nobody is in their right place. I fix the perch and think all if fine now.

Oh no, still not fine. I go into then next coop where the 2 mom's and the babies are. Well, there were 3 big chickens in there. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN. I pick up the intruder (who fawapps me with her wing) and put her back into her coop. Then I notice there are no babies in there. There should be 13 chick's huddled in one of the nest boxes (mom's just stopped sitting) NO CHICK'S. [​IMG]

I go out to their run (which is attached to the other one where all the hens were out) and there they are, huddled in a corner outside. Their pop door was open, their mom's where inside. What's up with this? So I have to herd all the little ones back inside their coop and shut everything up.

What a weird freaky night. You watch now I'll have nightmares to top it off. Silly chickens.

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    How old are the chicks? she could be trying to get rid of them now if their old enough.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Songster

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    They are about 7 weeks old. I know the mom's are done brooding them but they've never chased them out of the coop before. I'm selling the mom's so once they are gone, I'll move the chickens that are 4 weeks older back in with them and try to get my chicken world all in balance again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by