Freckles is lathargic and comb is droopy...

babigyrl22

Songster
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Caledonia
My 6mo old Barred Rock is not feeling well. Here are her symptoms:

- lathargic and sleeping alot
- not eating
- comb is droopy
- small wite spots on her face and comb - could be that she is getting pale?

She is separated from the flock. I've fortified her water with electrolytes and vitamens. We had a really hot day the other day and that is when she started to show signs. I brought her in the house and let her sit in a cool bath for a while which seemed to help. Yesterday she did eat but then found her later and she was very warm but once she drank water she cooled down. She doesn't want to walk around. She just wants to sit and sleep. What should I try next?

Here are photos of Freckles:

this is pretty much all she wants to do
2011-09-05_11-12-40_914.jpg

her face
2011-09-05_11-13-15_20.jpg

2011-09-05_11-13-01_638.jpg

What does her poo look like? Any abnormalities there? Have you checked her for mites? An infestation that is bad enough or has went on long enough can cause anemia, which generally makes their combs pale and tends to cause lethargy. It could also be the heat if it is very warm where you are. Does she have any other symptoms? Also, how has she been laying?

Quote:
Thank you for your response. I've looked her over and no mites or bugs. Her poo looks normal and is solid. I did find a sore (?) on her foot and have a better picture of her face see below:
2011-09-05_11-35-17_667.jpg

2011-09-05_11-34-48_839.jpg

Is her "face" puffy? It's hard to tell in the pics. Also is the white just discoloration of the comb -- IOW, it becoming pale -- or are you seeing actual spots like a rash? The pictures are kind of fuzzy so I don't want to assume one way or the other.

Is there any swelling in her abdomen?

How is her crop?

Quote:
Puffy: no
Spots: looks like a rash to me, the other BR's don't look like this and they are all the same age
Abdomen: no swelling
Crop: empty

The sore on the foot doesn't look concerning to me because there is no swelling/redness in the surrounding tissues. Bumblefoot would usually present as a sore in the center of the foot with a hardened area as well as the chicken having difficulty walking. My other thought with the spots on the comb/wattles being fowl pox, but it really doesn't look like it just yet. Does your girl have any mucous or discharge from her beak? I ask because there are two types of fowl pox, wet and dry. Check inside her beak for excess mucous and discharge, but when my birds contracted the disease, it was the dry form and they were pretty much asymptomatic with the exception of the lesions. The lethargy is throwing me because it really doesn't fit... I would think even a fungal infection wouldn't cause the lethargy, unless it was intrinsic as well.

Back
Top Bottom