Free...at last!!! Wreck Update w/ pic pg. 2

Dawn419

Lost in the Woods
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
Evening Shade, AR
Some of you know that Skip and I were in a bike wreck (young kid ran a red light, we t-boned his Lexus...never saw it coming!), back in early February.

I ended up with cracked ribs, broken wrist and pinky finger on my right hand and am right handed, of course!
hmm.png
Skip suffered a broken pelvis and a tear in his bladder.

Skip had health insurance, through work but I had none. Since I didn't have insurance, I really feel like I got the "short end of the stick" when it came to getting a doctor to do my follow-up visit on my cast.

Tried going to a local doc but by the time his office got my medical records from the hospital in Chattanooga, it had been 6 weeks. He refused to see me incase something wasn't right, this way he couldn't be held accountable.

Finally got an appointment down in Chattanooga on Tuesday (9 weeks later) and am cast free!!!
wee.gif
Still have to wear a wrist brace but it's so awesome to be free from packing around that "concrete block" on my arm 24/7!
gig.gif

Skip is healing well...tear in his bladder healed quickly and he is now using a cane to walk since the doc gave him the okay to put weight on his right leg.
wee.gif
He's a happy camper now!

He's left handed so he had a large time ribbing me about having to become left handed after the wreck and took to calling me Lefty, every chance he got. I am surprised at just how good I've gotten at using my left hand. We had to move some chickens around during our recovery and learned that I'm better at catching them with my left hand/arm so I've been calling myself Lefty, the one-armed chicken wrangler. It's been quite fitting, if I do say so myself...
lau.gif

Having been left handed this long, I have to constantly remind myself to use my right hand again. I go back to the doc's in 2 weeks, Skip doesn't go back for 6 weeks.

Sorry for rambling on...just super-excited to have my arm back and to watch Skip walking around helping me with critter chores!

Dawn

Last edited:
Glad to hear you are ok, but why did you have to use YOUR insurance if he (The kid) was at fault? Maybe your State is different than here but the party that runs the redlight has to take care of the other one...

Bubba

Thanks, Bubba and Cynthia!
hugs.gif

Bubba,

We're filing a lawsuit so his insurance company will be reimbursing us at a later date.
wink.png
(would have replied sooner but wanted to double check with Skip, first). He went to his old job today and may go back to work as soon as Monday (in the office for now but back to cabinet making in a few more months).
fl.gif

If it wasn't for my family helping us out with bills, a friend/neighbor who drove us when we needed a ride and who hauled feed bags for us and the world's best landlady (who told us not to worry about paying rent until we got back on our feet), I don't know how we'd have made it!!!

Dawn

Dawn,

I'm glad you are finally free of the cast and both of you are on the mends. You are blessed to have family and friends to help you out.

I hope the other person's insurance pays well. Remember to think of what in the future could happen with the injuries you both incurred.

jackie

Thanks so much, everyone!
hugs.gif

My wrist was my very first broken bone in my life...I'll be 43 next Saturday.
cool.png

We've noticed that whenever we have rain or a cold snap moving in, we feel it well before it gets here. Since Skip has pins in his pelvis, he feels the cold creeping the length of them...that must be wild!!!

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom