Free bantams to warm home in VA. Please read post #9

Its unfortunate that these things happen and anyone can miss signs or stress from other people being near, fairs, shows etc. I have taken ill birds in, its rewarding to see them regain their strength and vitality. Instead of apologizing, be grateful that you had part in helping heal these birds.
Its unfortunate that we need to cull or see them die, but you know they were treated humanely and loved.
D.gif

Ellen - those chickens are very lucky to have someone caring like you looking out for them. I hope things went well with the vet and they gave you a break on the bill.

Wanda

Quote:
I've just now run across this thread and this sounds very much like what I was dealing with this past summer. If there is stinky nasal discharge then things are pointing towards Infectious Coryza. According to the head poultry vet at VA Tech., the smelling nasal discharge goes with Coryza. He related the discharge smell to that of an infected ear in a dog. The dead birds, swollen eyes, and smelly nasal discharge all go with the Coryza. IF this is what these birds do have, then tetracycline will now do the job. The need to be on Galimycin or Tylan. The dosage for the Galimycin is 1 tsp. powder to 1 gal. of water. Make sure you clean waters daily by scrubbing them out with a scrub brush (the antibiotics will build up inside the waterers prohibiting the meds. to work properly) and clorox. Give antibiotics for 14 days. After antibiotics have been administered, cull any that are left with any signs of illness and vaccinate the remaining birds. In 4 wks. you will give a booster vaccination and cull any that are showing signs of illness at this point. The culling is necessary to rid your flock of any carriers.

The above treatment will only be necessary if the necropsy comes back with a diagnosis of Coryza, of course. With the symptoms being what they are, this is my best guess as to what these birds all have and I just wanted to give a heads up as to what the treatment would be in the event that this was found to be Coryza. My best wishes go out to all those who are involved with these sick birds.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom