Introducing my flock

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by hannahsflock, Jul 13, 2017.

1. hannahsflock

hannahsflock Songster

May 20, 2014
    South Africa
    This thread is going to be dedicated to photos of my flocks of chickens, as well as updates as I incubate and raise chicks, and try out new breeds. I will start off with the story of my journey up to this point -

The very beginning - 2009

We moved to a small farm in December 2009, and immediately wanted to get a flock of chickens to provide us with fresh eggs. Our first flock included Hylines and Rhode Island Reds. Soon after acquiring our first flock, we bought 2 small incubators and a couple of roosters, and started incubating and raising replacements for our older hens. At this point, I didn't really see our chickens as pets. They weren't tame at all, and roamed freely over our large garden (the dogs eventually learnt that they weren't chew toys, after numerous attempts). I fed them, collected eggs, raised the baby chicks and thoroughly enjoyed it. But I didn't have a passion for chickens yet, and had no idea there were fancy breeds out there.

First flock of Orpingtons - 2012

I bought my first flock of Buff Orpingtons at the end of 2012. There was a breeder just down the road from us, and I had heard that they were great egg layers, as well as meat birds. I fully intended to breed them mostly for meat production. That all changed though, when I saw them. They were huge, fluffy, golden chickens who loved cuddles, and while my Rhode Island Reds would scatter when I entered the coop, the Orpingtons would crowd around my feet, making it difficult to walk without tripping over one or two. I couldn't see myself eating them.

At this point I thought that Buff Orpington was the breed. I had no idea there were other colours out there. In fact, even when I saw an advert for Blue Orpingtons, I told myself that these were 'Blue Buff Orpingtons'. I only realized that this wasn't correct after I brought home my first flock of Blue and Splash in 2014. Now I was starting to form an addiction. The beginning of 2013 started my craziest year of my chicken journey...

The crazy year - 2013

I was now in the phase of just starting to explore different breeds, and I started to read anything and everything I came across that was chicken related. I stalked this site for a whole year before I joined, reading entire threads and articles on certain breeds I was interested in, as well as diseases and tips on managing breeding flocks/raising chicks. I bought multiple books, and poured over pages and pages of information, putting into practice what I was learning. And then I began to expand my flock...

I had now decided to breed chickens. So I kept my Buff Orpington flock, and hatched a few eggs under broody hens. I didn't have an incubator at this stage, as we had given away our 2 original ones, due to them not working properly. Then I bought several other breeds. To name a few, I tried out -

Old English Game Bantams
    Polish Bantams (frizzle and straight)
    Wyandottes
    Barred Rocks
    Brahmas
    Australorps
    Light Sussex
    Speckled Sussex
    Sebrights
    Sabelpoot Bantams

I kept a few of the breeds, but most of them I sold, to make space for even more breeds. I had to try as many as possible. This is why I look back on 2013 as my craziest year of raising chickens. I had breeds coming in and out, and I was putting them wherever I could find the space. I needed to start getting organized and decide which breeds I wanted to continue with.

I bought an incubator in 2015, and since then have been breeding several colours of Orpingtons and Cochin Bantams. I plan on adding Silver Laced Wyandottes and a couple more bantam breeds in the near future.

I will be posting photos of my current flock as soon as possible. This is a long post, so thank you if you read all the way through. :) I hope you enjoy following my continuing journey.

2. peterlund

peterlund Songster

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Got my interest.
    I'll get some popcorn and wait by my monitor til you post.... ;)

WildRunningWing likes this.
  3. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Free Ranging

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Wonderful post! I'll be looking forward to the pics and following the thread.

4. hannahsflock

hannahsflock Songster

May 20, 2014
    South Africa
    Thank you both :) I'll be quite busy till tomorrow, so I'll post the first photos then.

5. hannahsflock

hannahsflock Songster

May 20, 2014
    South Africa
    Time to introduce my flocks of Cochin Bantams. I currently have a flock of Wheaten and a flock of Silver Partridge (both frizzle and straight). I plan on adding a few more colours in the near future. I'm breeding and selling them at the moment, but they are also my pets. Because I can't live without at least a few bantams ;)

20170317_145423.jpg 20170711_084813.jpg 20170322_154928.jpg 20170322_154956.jpg
    Oh, and here is a photo of one of my Harlequin cockerels, and frizzle Wheaten pullets I hatched out. These chicks are the very first offspring of my current flock.

20170701_111957.jpg

And some Silver Partridge chicks too -

20170317_145540.jpg

Next post will be about my several colours of Orpingtons. With them, I plan on breeding and selling the chicks at around 3 months old, or when I can be sure on whether they are pullets/cockerels, then pairing them off. I've been selling them up to this point as day olds, but I feel that growing them up a bit more will be more worth my while as it adds to their value.

So, it's all a work in progress. Super excited about these breeding projects!

~Hannah

WildRunningWing likes this.
  6. WildRunningWing

WildRunningWing Crowing

May 24, 2017
    Trusting Gods plans!
    So Fluffy and cute:love!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: