Free chickens, need help identifying them

Dirty Farmer

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
A friend of mine called me because he knows that my wife and I are going to get chickens soon. (as soon as we’re finished building our chicken coop) Anyways, he said that a friend of his had bought baby chicks for his young daughters this past Easter. Well as you know, small chicks turn into big chickens, and he now wants to get rid of them. He said that I could have them for free, if I want them. They don’t know anything about them, other than they came from Tractor Supply Co, as very small yellow chicks.

Any guesses on what breed they are, or the gender perhaps? Free is a good price, so should I take a chance, and give them a new home?

94470_little_chickens.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
X2 I'm no expert,but there looks like some BO's and a GLW in there.

hmmm they don't look anything like my BO's...mine never had the white on them

They look more like Red Stars

I agree with Barefoot...of course my 1 BO is only 7 days old but no white whatsoever....I think orpingtons do come in other colors though. I am very new to all of this though so I am only going on the research I did before we got our 3 chicks.

Quote:
X2 I'm no expert,but there looks like some BO's and a GLW in there.

hmmm they don't look anything like my BO's...mine never had the white on them

They look more like Red Stars

I have to agree totally with BarefootMom. And my GLW chicks had brown on them with rose combs. These are very likely to be Red Stars or similar hybrid.

ETA: I FINALLY saw the chick in the bottom left corner.
roll.png
It has some Gold Laced Wyandotte coloring. Does it have a rose comb? GLW doesn't seem like a common TSC breed, but it is possible.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom