Free coop past history of Mareks

Nice as in new, but really an inadequate coop all around.
Best to pass on it.
It’s a temporary enclosure for some chicks until they can be integrated into my big coop. I just have to get them out of the brooder. Seems like it’s adequate for a temporary place, no?

It’s a temporary enclosure for some chicks until they can be integrated into my big coop. I just have to get them out of the brooder. Seems like it’s adequate for a temporary place, no?
Yes, for chicks it would probably be fine. Just not really for adults. But for me, I don’t think it would be worth all the effort to disinfect it, personally. But up to you.

Because of my particular situation, I stay well clear of any Marek's vector, even one whose risk can be greatly mitigated.

In the case of that particular coop however (and similar prefabs), I'd steer clear of it for other reasons.

As with @aart , above, i'd be much more inclined to partition within the main coop, or better, at the opposite end of the run. I understand you to be resource limited at the moment (we've all been there), what resources do you have available for temporary coop/enclosure creation? and how many birds of what ages need temporary housing??? and what housing is already available (and not occupied to capacity)???

Hi! I was just offered a free coop which I desperately need and it has a history of mareks. 90% if my birds are from hatcheries but I hatched a few myself and are therefore not vaccinated. And I have a broody hen doing her thing now.
The coop has been empty for 8 months and I would of course clean the crap out of it (cleaning instructions welcome).
Do you think it’s too risky to use?
Thank you!
Could you put a small percentage of the flock in, and see what happens with them?

Could you put a small percentage of the flock in, and see what happens with them?
The problem with Merricks is that once one is exposed all things it has to be assumed to be a carrier for the rest of its life. And once the rest of the flock are exposed to that carrier, they also have to be assumed to be carriers for the rest of their lives. That's not to say that one cannot successfully maintain America's positive flock. Plenty of people do. But it is a lifetime commitment. After exposure, every new bird you add to the flock should be vaccinated against Merricks. Not because it will prevent them from getting merricks, but rather because it will tend to greatly reduce the severity of Merricks when they do get it.

I've had a small one very simialr that worked really well for raising some chicks and also as a hospital or broody breaking ward. It was sufficient short term. In all honesty, I wish I hadn't given it away. It was nove to have more options.

Most of the other advice is valid and with good wisdom.

Just posted pics. Thank you!
Thank You. Okay, I hate to disappoint you but I had envisioned a coop more like a 4k Large custom build or Quality Amish type etc. being well worth the trouble of very extensive cleaning. A pre-fab is just not worth it in my opinion. I have ordered a pre-fab for very little money because I wanted some of the parts for my brooder within my Large coop (and willing to throw away the stuff they call wood which I call chemical veneer.) I'm afraid that other than that exception, I'd always pass on pre-fab whether free or not and hard pass on Mareks risk. Sorry. I just think you can do so much better. Check out the Coops section for ideas and what if you check out things like Craig's list, FB market, etc. for something small that you can upcycle. My first coop was a (free,) old dog house (no Mareks.) Good Luck!!

Hi! I was just offered a free coop which I desperately need and it has a history of mareks. 90% if my birds are from hatcheries but I hatched a few myself and are therefore not vaccinated. And I have a broody hen doing her thing now.
The coop has been empty for 8 months and I would of course clean the crap out of it (cleaning instructions welcome).
Do you think it’s too risky to use?
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom