Free Daily Special Hi-protein Treats For Chook Owners In Fla, La, Al

gsim

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
East Tennessee
All those who live in Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and south Texas can have high-protein treats every day for free. (I am in E Tenn and this will not work for me.)

Here is how: Just place a piece of sheet metal in chicken run. At dusk when it is time for lock-down, take a tablespoon or two of cheap corn syrup and cover the metal. Might be best to warm it up and use a brush to apply evenly. In the AM, your girls will discover a tasty treat of palmetto bugs stuck on the sheet metal. Yum-yum! After the first day, they will stampede out to the run to see how many they can eat before their fellow-chooks get them. Free high protein and bound to cut your feed bill too.

Another thing that should work is to put a pile of mulched chopped leaves or mix with compost to depth of 4 to 6" and maybe 6 to8 ft across for palmetto bugs to hide in . After it is well populated (a few days) Kick it open while the chooks are standing there and they will quickly get the idea.
wink.png

The chopped leaves would work in Colorado...but instead of palmetto bugs it would be slugs and earwigs. Ducks LOVE slugs and earwigs
big_smile.png

I had to look up what a palmetto bug was...lol. I've always called them "them big roaches with wings"...lol I might have to try that. I've accidently left out an opened bag of dog food before and there were tons of these bugs all around and in it. I've also seen them in my dog's food dish even when there wasn't food in it. But lately I haven't noticed any....I guess it's getting a little too chilly for them ???

Back
Top Bottom