1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free Daily Special Hi-protein Treats For Chook Owners In Fla, La, Al

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gsim, Nov 24, 2009.

1. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    All those who live in Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and south Texas can have high-protein treats every day for free. (I am in E Tenn and this will not work for me.)

Here is how: Just place a piece of sheet metal in chicken run. At dusk when it is time for lock-down, take a tablespoon or two of cheap corn syrup and cover the metal. Might be best to warm it up and use a brush to apply evenly. In the AM, your girls will discover a tasty treat of palmetto bugs stuck on the sheet metal. Yum-yum! After the first day, they will stampede out to the run to see how many they can eat before their fellow-chooks get them. Free high protein and bound to cut your feed bill too.

Another thing that should work is to put a pile of mulched chopped leaves or mix with compost to depth of 4 to 6" and maybe 6 to8 ft across for palmetto bugs to hide in . After it is well populated (a few days) Kick it open while the chooks are standing there and they will quickly get the idea. [​IMG]

2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    What a great idea. Thanks for sharing this. I will be giving it a try.
    Nancy

3. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    In PA we call those "stink bugs".

Will the eggs taste like those bugs smell? LOL I HATE those things.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The chopped leaves would work in Colorado...but instead of palmetto bugs it would be slugs and earwigs. Ducks LOVE slugs and earwigs [​IMG]

5. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I had to look up what a palmetto bug was...lol. I've always called them "them big roaches with wings"...lol I might have to try that. I've accidently left out an opened bag of dog food before and there were tons of these bugs all around and in it. I've also seen them in my dog's food dish even when there wasn't food in it. But lately I haven't noticed any....I guess it's getting a little too chilly for them ???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by