free feed

deryl_reed

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 21, 2007
I got two truck loads of pig feed gave to me should i mix more corn with it . I know it will not hurt my chickens like a 50/50 mix dont know whats in it for sure it will only last me about 2 months if not mixing it with anything

Well... I don't know what's in pig feed... but if its all dry like chicken feed... in order not to throw the chickens off in their balance, mixing it with a good quality layer supplement would be the best I think.

Got a friend of mine that is buying pig feed in bulk for all his livestock, including the chickens. He's not got a lot of $$ to spare these days, and the feed is much cheaper than laying pellets.

His hens don't free range at all, either. It's not ideal nutrition for them, but his girls are still laying (better than he expected on the lower protein feed) and doing OK.

If you mix it 50/50 with layer pellets, it should help your feed go further, and I'd think would not cause any lasting issues for them, especially if they get some greens/free ranging time too.

pig feed
Nursery feed - 22%

Shell corn grain 815 lbs.
Roasted soybeans 500 lbs.
Oats 200 lbs.
63% fish meal 200 lbs.
Milk pellets 200 lbs.
Rumi-Cult 40 25 lbs.
Swine Grower with Lysine 60 lbs.
Total: 2,000 lbs

17% Layer Ration:
965 lb. Shelled Corn
600 lb. Roasted Soybeans
100 lb. Oats
100 lb. Alfalfa Meal
175 lb. Aragonite(calcium)
60 lb. Poultry Nutri-Balancer
2000 lb.

i think im going to add some more corn

OOOHHHH you have baby piggy pellets - nice and high in protein, then.

Make sure they have free choice calcium source (like oyster shells) if they are laying age - I'd say that's the biggest thing missing from the piggy pellets.

Protein looks great, I would just give free choice oyster shell and maybe add black oil sunflower seeds to get the methionine content up. Not sure what other trace minearals the birds need for a long productive life though. But if they are meant to be rotated out on a two or three year basis, long term production isn't as big of a deal.

I went to get ny feed today all it is is soy beans how much should i mix with corn a total of 4 pickup loads

id mix 50/50 pig feed an corn.that will streach your feed out.an cut the protine down a tad as well.

pips&peeps :

I had a friend of mine who ended up erroneously getting pig food instead of laying feed and her chickens got gout because the protein was too high.

Well thats not good to hear ive been getting free soy beans and feeding those​

Back
Top Bottom