Free Feed!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Country Parson, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    Sometimes a little elbow greese is required, but free food is often available for the asking. My children and I gleaned a neighbor's field and filled five 55 gallon drums with corn, still on the cob. We're going out tonight for some more before we get any more snow. Another neighbor suggested (and offered) that I grind it up, cob and all, and fed it to my chickens. He said his dad used to do that, and the chickens ate the corn and tossed out the cob pieces, eventually making a nice corncob bedding.

2. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like a great idea to me. [​IMG]

3. justinsmom

justinsmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2011
    Georgia
    I've seen corn cob beding and its nice

4. Momma on a Mission

Momma on a Mission Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Seymour, IN
    We do that too. My hubby went to his grandfathers house and got his old fashioned corn crank that takes the corn off the cob. Works wonders! And so worth it too.

5. Wile E.

Wile E. Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    South Cryogenica
    Yep, I did that too. I got two 55 gallon barrels full of ear corn and then some. I only have 4 hens and a rooster so I have enough to get through winter.

A coworker used to get old bread to feed their sheep. A lot of it was good enough they ate it themselves.

6. Wile E.

Wile E. Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    South Cryogenica
    By the way, shelling is a pain. I heard my cousin still has the old hand crank corn sheller from my dads farm.

I think the easiest way is to throw an ear on a concrete floor and step on it. A lot of kernels will fall off and the rest will loosen up enough that it comes off easy. Sweep it up when you are done.

7. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Drop those corn cobs through a chipper/shredder and they will eat all of it. That's how we crack whole corn, with the whole thing it grinds up very nicely.

8. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Quote:After seeing the movie Fargo about 10+ times, my wife won't allow me to buy/rent a chipper/shredder. [​IMG]

9. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:After seeing the movie Fargo about 10+ times, my wife won't allow me to buy/rent a chipper/shredder. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. platedheart

platedheart Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2011
    brevard fl
    no shredder ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by