Free Fertile Hatching eggs, Tx. Votes are in, The winer is????

I have 3 broody hens on eggs, 1 is mine, the other two are loaners
smile.png

Here's my girl:

100_1654.jpg

Here's her story: I bought her about a year and a half ago. She was one of those "Puh-lease take this chicken" chickens. Last summer, she kept trying to sit on eggs. She would sit for a few days, then get up. Eggs kept appearing and disappearing in the nest box beside her's. One day, I wanted to make fresh homemade brownies so I went to the nest next to her's, gathered the eggs and came in. First egg, great. Second egg......YUCK! It was black liquid and there was a half grown chick in there (dead of course)
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
. I've yet to make more. So, I immediately go out and get her and her nest of eggs and put her in a cage to hatch them. She hatched out 3. A few months later, we had a bad hawk problem. She disappeared so I figured she was gone. Around 2 1/2 weeks later, she appears with 3 more babies
smile.png
. My dh's uncle wanted to hatch some of his eggs. She was broody but I told him he needed to put her up in a cage of sorts or she might not stay. She hatched 3 more
smile.png
. She now has 8 eggs under her. She doesn't move no matter what is going on around her. She's an excellent mother and will stand up to the dogs around here if they come toward her chicks. I have no idea what she is. I'm sure she is mixed but with what.....who knows
smile.png
. I love her because she is pretty friendly, doesn't mind if I pick up her chicks (as long as they don't chirp), and is the ONLY broody hen I have
love.gif

Thanks for sponsoring this great contest!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOohhh.
talk about competative
lol.png
that's double the competition.
smile.png

good luck to you and your silkies
wink.png

Quote:
sorry to hear about your egg experience in the kitchenn
thats probably hapend to most of us hear on BYC...

Your hens look happy, she just doing what they do best,
laying and setting eggs. I showed a friend your pic right now,
they liked the little helmet look/ topnoch on the top of her head.
Good luck in the contest,

Thank You, for your entery.

Ummmmm..soooooo???
How's the voting going?
Just so you know.. there is a mom out in the world just twitchy with excitement about the thought of Marans and Welsummers....
Whoever said anticipation was sweet was obviously not waiting to see if they won eggs...
big_smile.png

WELLL,

I don't have a broody HEN and chicks...I have a broody ROO sitting on chicks!!!

Here is FLUFFY, my broody ROOSTER!

23391_patch_pup_037.jpg

23391_patch_pup_031.jpg

23391_patch_pup_036.jpg

23391_patch_pup_044.jpg

23391_patch_pup_034.jpg

23391_patch_pup_027.jpg

23391_patch_pup_033.jpg

thats 37 large fowl day-old chicks and six ducklings under that rooster
smile.png
He is a black bantam cochin. I love my Fluffy!

I do know HE is not a mama, so I just hope you enjoy the pictures!

BTW...he is the TOP stud for all 40 of my hens, too!! He fights off the ducks and the neighbors minorca cross roo that is four times Fluffy's size!! He is a super roo...right now I am trying to incubate some eggs from him and an EE and a barred rock lady, too. I hope they get his dashing sense of husbandry!

Last edited:
Don't roosters make the best mammas!!
My oldest Silkie roo..Poppa Ppffootie.. takes great care of any chicks I put in with him. He is a bit of a control freak.. slightly Napoleonic.. and having a brood of chicks that hang on his every word is good for his oversized ego!!
smile.png

Your roo is doing a great job!!

Last edited:
adopted.jpg

does this face look angelic or what? she looks like shes sooo happy she could cry!!! Shes cute, and she fluffs up like a turkey when i am near ahahaaaa
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom