Free food!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Fuffy, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    [​IMG]

I have just found an endless supply of free food for my girlies!

We have a company that grows all the veggies for the local shops. They sell huge bags of carrots for the horses for next to nothing.
    They have a skip where all the veggie trimmings go: Cabbage leaves, lots of squash guts, potatoes. carrots and lots of other good stuff.

And I have been invited to help myself whenever I want [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you to the lovely people at Amal Grow, Jersey!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    LUCKY>... I wish we had that around here... Thats awesome on soo many levels...

3. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    I'm so jealous!! I wish I could find something like that around here, our ladies go nuts for squash guts. Congrats!! [​IMG]

4. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome! An endless supply! Just be sure to check it over carefully for mold or mildew before you give it to your birds. That could cause all kinds of problems, the likes of which you don't even want to contemplate. Might be prudent to wash and maybe even cook it all first. [​IMG]

Wish I had something like that available to me during the winter months. In the summer, our girls get all they can eat daily from the garden. Aaaah the never ending quest to provide yummy treats! *sigh*

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Wow that is lucky indeed! Awesome!

6. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Holy cow! Squash guts?!?!?!! Don't tell my girls, they will be soooo jealous!!! [​IMG]

7. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    you suck. That is all. [​IMG]

seriously, though, I wish we had one here....just don't forget to supplement calcium and anything else they may need for a healthy diet!!!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  8. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    [​IMG]

Oh yes! I just chop the whole lot into chicken-bite-sized bits, having checked it all carefully.
    Then I cover it with water and boil it until everything is soft.
    If it is still too runny, I might add a handful of rice or pasta just to soak up the juice.
    The result is a bit runnier that mashed potato.

This is the the afternoon feed. In the mornings they have all the layer's pellets they want.

The 'chicken soup' gives them a substitute for the grass they have demolished and I can give it to them warm in the winter.

For some reason my girlies don't seem to want to peck at things (Unless it's corn on the cob!) [​IMG], so this seems to be a good thing [​IMG]

9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Check with the local grocery store for veggie trimmings, & outdated Fruit & veggies. They are happy to give it away here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by