Free heat

This was DS's science project last year. The Dog House Heater. Though we don't have a dog house so perhaps we should have picked a better name. We scaled down, used cardboard instead of wood, less cans, NO solar panel, just the black cans... still I was surprised by the amount of heat that little bugger put out. Why in the world did we not think to put these on sunny windows... duh!

Quote:
No I did not, but that is an excellent idea. I will post a link right now.

Dac... Sufficient Self will not allow me to post a link. Guess I'm too new a member. Oh well I tried.
Pineapple mom sounds like an AH HA moment to me.
ep.gif
Sounds like you might want to expand that science project.

Quote:
No I did not, but that is an excellent idea. I will post a link right now.

Dac... Sufficient Self will not allow me to post a link. Guess I'm too new a member. Oh well I tried.
Pineapple mom sounds like an AH HA moment to me.
ep.gif
Sounds like you might want to expand that science project.

I'll give it a try for you.

Never mind, Cindi already did.

Last edited:
Just saw this post on Sufficient Self (link provided by BYC Newsletter) and had to check out your link here! This is amazing! We are in the process of building our coop and this will really work well! We live in Northern Ontario, Canada and the winters are extremely cold. Heating costs are crazy so we are always looking for alternative heating sources! I have checked out many alternative heating methods just to be daunted by the complexity of them. This seems so simple! Can't wait to give it a try!
Thanks again!
Diana

just saw this. Ive heard you can also make a big one on the roof! I saw plans in a book, the people lived in northern Montana. they made their box out of two 2x6 metal studs from Home Depot, and used 4" metal vent pipe (like used to vent a water heater). They are saying it is supplementing 30-40% o their heating! I love the practicality of your design though! I think I'll try what you have done before attempting the bigger roof mounted one.

Back
Top Bottom