Free range alternatives to broiler pens, tractors, and coops

Our netting as we currently have it set gives a pretty hefty kick. It certainly keeps my dogs out! After I watched several of our sheep go straight through it when they were spooked by the steers, I wondered if a predator would just ignore it the way the sheep did. It may have been on a lower setting at that time though. I know when the goats were first introduced to it, they were definitely not inclined to run through. I think we will just have to give it a try and trust that the netting will do its job. We don't currently have an LGD and I don't see us getting one anytime soon due to several concerns, so the netting will have to do.

So I have received my fencing from Premier and am wondering how you get in and out every day to feed and water? Do you have a "door" area that isn't electrified? or do you turn it on and off every day and move the end of a line and walk in?
Thanks!
Becky

So I have received my fencing from Premier and am wondering how you get in and out every day to feed and water? Do you have a "door" area that isn't electrified? or do you turn it on and off every day and move the end of a line and walk in?
Thanks!
Becky

This probably isn't the right way, but I saw a real pro do it and so adopted it.

I have a section that isn't as tight as the rest, bows just a little with the slack. I step on the top strand to bend it forward and down, making sure my shoe doesn't get caught in the netting, and step right over.

Thanks!
Becky

Turn it off. Make sure it's off. :) Then just swing one leg over, then the other. Every once in a while I don't get the foot high enough on the second leg and get caught, but usually I make it! The fiberglass posts bend enough that this doesn't hurt anything.

-Wendy

Thanks for the tips on the fencing. Sounds pretty easy. I will have to keep the hubby away. He is a bit of a klutz.
lol.png

I'm been practicing with my new electric netting with my cockerels and am very encouraged that this will work for the meaties. The nets are 165ft long.

I am planning to build a portable hoop shelter to use within the netting and was hoping to incorporate a low "roosting" section with poop drop (or poop board). Has anyone had luck with hardware cloth or other materials since it was discussed earlier in this thread?

There are lots of suggestions about meatie / tractor density - what about meatie / pastured / shelter setup (how much shelter space per bird)? I was thinking about an 8x8 shelter for 40 birds = 1.6 sqft/bird but that may be generous if they can run around during the day.

I'm been practicing with my new electric netting with my cockerels and am very encouraged that this will work for the meaties. The nets are 165ft long.

I am planning to build a portable hoop shelter to use within the netting and was hoping to incorporate a low "roosting" section with poop drop (or poop board). Has anyone had luck with hardware cloth or other materials since it was discussed earlier in this thread?

There are lots of suggestions about meatie / tractor density - what about meatie / pastured / shelter setup (how much shelter space per bird)? I was thinking about an 8x8 shelter for 40 birds = 1.6 sqft/bird but that may be generous if they can run around during the day.

I currently have 100 Freedom Rangers in 165 feet of netting and they love it. I moved them off the hill onto a flat area and they stay spread out. I have offered them 3 shelters (3 sided sheds that I also use for hogs, yet they are happy with their old shelter (way too small) and some tents (Tarp and electric fence posts) for shade and sleep. Some sleep outside by choice. I am toying with just using 2x4 frame and welded wire fence with tarps as a lightweight shelter. Finally have the wheel thing figured out thanks to my hardware store. I am not going to have them roost, as I think it is a little bit of a waste for what? 5 weeks?

Good luck,
Shawn

With broilers and the net, they can squeeze through when they are young if the power is off. Please don't ask how I figured this out. I have A few simple shelters and the netting works great as it reduces the amount of work associated with the birds. I do put a few laying chicks in with the broilers as they seem to teach them how to forage and watch for predators.

Back
Top Bottom