Free Range and supplimenting feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sgt pepper, May 13, 2010.

1. sgt pepper

sgt pepper Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    I have 18 buff orphingtons and have been allowing them to free range throughout the day. I live on 7 acres in missouri, there is plenty for them to find.. I also have been feeding them egg pellets. I am feeding about 200 lbs a month in addition to their free rangeing. I am wondering if i am feeding too much?

2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Holy cow, are you sure nothing else is getting access to their feed? I've got 21 hens out in the coop and I only go through a hundred pounds a month, if that. Something smells fishy......ya might wanna check it out!! Oh, btw, mine have free access 24/7 to their feed also.

3. sgt pepper

sgt pepper Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    I keep the food in a large lidded can... I give them 1 1/2 scoops a day.. i use an old bleach bottle(1 gal ) as a scoop.. I have filled their 30 lb feeder and they wil go thru it in a couple days with no problem.. I am thinking of cutting their ration i feed in half.. as it is i am feeding about 6.6 lbs per day or .37 lbs per day to each bird... along with what they range...

4. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Wow, that's a lot of feed. I have 10 RIR's and their 30lb feeder lasts a week. I have a 40lb feeder in with 16 5wk old meaties and it lasts about 4 1/2 days.

5. Warthog

Warthog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Belize
    I have 40 Production Reds who free range on 28 acres, but probably only range about 4/5 acres.

I feed them about 2lbs of food in the morning before I let them out, and about 2lbs of food when I bring them in, in the evening along with any kitchen scraps.

They are fit healthy and producing eggs really well.

I think you might just be overfeeding or that something else is getting into the food.

6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    What kind of feeder are you using? Where is it located, inside or outside? They're either wasting feed, are way over-eating or something else is getting into that feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by