Free range but destroys plants

Kchicken1988

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2019
I would love to free range full time but my chickens destroy my plants. They scratch and scratch until their roots are exposed and they die. So right now I let them out for the last hour of light to keep the damage to a minimum but it’s still maintenance for me to take care of what the destroyed.
we are talking about 50-100 plants. So caging every plant just doesnt seem do able. Especially when half of them are huge lelands.
any tips or tricks ?

You either fence the chickens in or the plants out. They love gardens, and the more you pay for a plant, the faster they get it. Once I swear, I was only on the phone long enough to tell my mother I could not talk, I had let the chickens out, and lost my vegetable garden.

Not really. We have plants every where. And our property is huge to make another fence.
Maybe it’s just the name of the game.

You either fence the chickens in or the plants out. They love gardens, and the more you pay for a plant, the faster they get it. Once I swear, I was only on the phone long enough to tell my mother I could not talk, I had let the chickens out, and lost my vegetable garden.
Ahhh. That’s awful !

Back
Top Bottom