free range chicks

Well ours are 9 weeks old now so they are big but anyway my husband wanted me to let them loose while he was bbqing the other day and I wasnt sure if i should let them out. Guess I know my answer now, I will tell him the bad news. lol
I think in that situation it's fine to let them out, especially with him right there to watch over them. From your first post I was envisioning them just being turned loose full time and alone.

I open range mine from sun up to sun down, without a fence. Now granted we are in the middle of the woods with no neighbors so I dont worry about them "getting away". They wander, sometimes further than others. I have not had a loss yet. All my chicks are now 11 weeks old. I also have 9 duckling rangeing from 10 weeks to 2 weeks. Everyone ranges together.

I think in that situation it's fine to let them out, especially with him right there to watch over them. From your first post I was envisioning them just being turned loose full time and alone.
I turned my 9 week old loose full time alone. Nothing ever happened. Anyone who open ranges has to understand that sure there will be losses but that doesnt mean its going to happen all the time and every time.

Hey Jerseycoop - what part of Jersey are you in? I have some 6 week olds (3 GSL's and 2 bantams) and I wonder too about free ranging them. We put up a 4' fence and lined it with chicken wire so they can't get through it when they are full grown. Never even thought about them hopping up and over it.

Oh That is good news. We only have 3 but Im sure they will stick together. I havent seen much of personalities yet but would like too :) Thanks for the tips. I am VERY new to this so have no idea what to expect.

Yesterday was their first adventure out. They loved it. One ended up in the neighbors backyard and we thought we lost 2 but I found them on the other side of the garage, thank goodness! All in all a good day!
celebrate.gif

Mine did not successfully free range until over a year old, but with the enormous amount of hawks, I supervise all of their free time. I let them out daily most of the day. I bring them back to the coop a few times, so I can get a break. They finally know how to spot a hawk and we have really good hiding places.

I use this time to take my dogs out too. It's a win win for all. :)

Last edited:
Well for the last few weeks the chickens have been working the garden area. I wish that I had the forethought to have pictures for a Before & After Photo Comparison. Its amazing the amount of work a few chickens can do. My garden is almost ready...
cool.png

They are like Free-Rangeing Machines.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom