Qualien

Songster
May 9, 2018
I'm hatching out some chukar eggs. I've read several posts about people who have chukar that free range, and coop at night. Some say they coop with their chickens, yes I'm aware that chickens and game birds have communicable diseases, that's not the part that I'm interested in. I would like to know if anyone has free ranging chukar, and if so, how do I accomplish this? Do chukar naturally want to return to the coop at night?

i personally don’t think it could be done successfully as a previous chukar owner.
Thank you 🙂 I figured I'd ask, I've never raised chukar before, but I did find those few posts I saw very intriguing. You never know when an alternative solution may be presented, and I'm always excited by new ideas. Any advice for a new chukar owner? So far I'm planning on housing them in a 25'X15' covered pen, with separate pens for breeding pairs. I've read that they are very temperamental, and flighty. Do you think I would be able to grow tomatoes, and peppers in their pen, or would they pick holes in all the fruit? Will they form a small flock like quail, or do they stick to their own zones?

Thank you 🙂 I figured I'd ask, I've never raised chukar before, but I did find those few posts I saw very intriguing. You never know when an alternative solution may be presented, and I'm always excited by new ideas. Any advice for a new chukar owner? So far I'm planning on housing them in a 25'X15' covered pen, with separate pens for breeding pairs. I've read that they are very temperamental, and flighty. Do you think I would be able to grow tomatoes, and peppers in their pen, or would they pick holes in all the fruit? Will they form a small flock like quail, or do they stick to their own zones?
In the wild, chukars form coveys.

unfortunately i have learned the hard way that gardens/live plants do not survive an aviary full of birds!! they have dug up, and/or picked clean everything I have attempted to plant 😭 tomorrow we are going to dig up and try to save our blueberry bush that we put in with the budgies, finches, and button quail.
I did find that the chukars enjoyed a cabbage hung for them to peck at!

unfortunately i have learned the hard way that gardens/live plants do not survive an aviary full of birds!! they have dug up, and/or picked clean everything I have attempted to plant 😭 tomorrow we are going to dig up and try to save our blueberry bush that we put in with the budgies, finches, and button quail.
I did find that the chukars enjoyed a cabbage hung for them to peck at!
Good info thanks 😁 I've had some success keeping coturnix in the garden before. They're great for pest control, and did little damage to my plants. They did like my cherry tomatoes that fell off though, and one time I saw one of my quail running around with a tobacco horn worm in it's mouth. The worm was almost as long as the quail. It was hilarious watching all the others chase it, wondering what treat it got, with a worm that big in it's mouth.

one time I saw one of my quail running around with a tobacco horn worm in it's mouth. The worm was almost as long as the quail. It was hilarious watching all the others chase it, wondering what treat it got, with a worm that big in it's mouth.

That sounds like what happened the first time I gave my chickens a bunch of leftover spaghetti (with sauce!) from the Senior Citizens lunch. The first one brave enough to grab one of those "worms" took off running down the 80 foot driveway, noodle flapping in the breeze, and the rest of the flock chasing her and grabbing bits as they could. By the time she got back to the vicinity of the pile, she only had a bite left to herself and her breast looked it was covered in blood! I nearly died laughing. :D

I hatched out 19 chukar last summer and then released them on the farm in September. I just saw a pair this afternoon. Before I let them go, I piled branches in the horse paddocks and pasture. In the past forest grouse have taken up residence in the brush piles. I think the chukar used it this winter.

Back
Top Bottom