Free range ducks aren't free ranging

FeelingDucky

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2017
Lol, the title says it all. This is my first experience with ducks, I have 10 5 week old ducklings. We've been putting them outside during the day in a temporary enclosure on our lawn. We've been letting them wander while we're home....and they don't really wander. They follow me if I'm outside, but mostly they just lay under one of our trees. Will they get more self sufficient as they age? We're planning on having them range all day, and only putting them up at night.

Lol, the title says it all. This is my first experience with ducks, I have 10 5 week old ducklings. We've been putting them outside during the day in a temporary enclosure on our lawn. We've been letting them wander while we're home....and they don't really wander. They follow me if I'm outside, but mostly they just lay under one of our trees. Will they get more self sufficient as they age? We're planning on having them range all day, and only putting them up at night.
5 weeks is still pretty young, they will get the hang of it all soon. Is it hot where you are? My ducks go in spurts they will forage then lay around then get up and start again. Are you going to supply feed along with letting them forage? Most of us do.

@FeelingDucky

Ducks don't really wonder that much (from what I know).
hu.gif
Ducks like to sit in the shade and rest a lot, if they can't fly. so it might be commin for some ducks to sit in the shade and follow their "leader"
big_smile.png

@Miss Lydia
Thanks for responding! The weather has been great, around 70. We have shade, food and a little pool in their temporary enclosure. They are always more than happy to come out of it, and will wander freely while I'm outside. As soon as they are left to their own devices they just kind of hunker down. And yes, we will be supplying food always, we now are leaving it in their pen, and they never bother to go back to it unless I shoo them back in.

@Miss Lydia
Thanks for responding! The weather has been great, around 70. We have shade, food and a little pool in their temporary enclosure. They are always more than happy to come out of it, and will wander freely while I'm outside. As soon as they are left to their own devices they just kind of hunker down. And yes, we will be supplying food always, we now are leaving it in their pen, and they never bother to go back to it unless I shoo them back in.
it's their age. It's a huge world with lots of new things and your their security so when your out they feel more bold in moving around. They get better as they age Sounds like they have a great life.

Do they have places to get under in case of flying preds? I know you said trees so that is probably also another reason why they like the trees, safety.

@starrmar006
Oh they love us.
1f60a.png
A little too much, lol. We started training them from day one to follow us, in preparation of putting them in their coop at night. Now when we say Come here girls they all come running!

Yes we have lots of trees on our property, and good hiding spots for them.
263a.png
We're still keeping them in our house at night as we're in the process of building their permanent home....last night they walked themselves into the house and out themselves to bed! Lol. It's going to be a shock to them when they're out all the time.

My Ducks are a year old and they all still hang out at the back door...My Drake was imprinted on me and loves me....He is randy right now with breeding season in full swing so he has been following the sounds of wild Mallards and tries to leave home...:(.....For the most part he stays right behind the house with his Hens...:)

I hope you have them used to sleeping in the dark?....My Ducklings were terrified of the dark...lol....They now have a solar light outside the window of their coop..:)....Silly Ducklings..:)

Best wishes...:)

It will take them time. All my birds have stuck close at first and slowly expanded their range.
I would walk the little ones around so they could explore, but on their own, they had their safety tree and would venture out a bit further from that each day.
None of mine will explore the full fenced 4 yards in the back, but I'm ok with that - less area to hunt for a missing bird that created a nest somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom