free range egg prices

Quote:
lol.png
Maggie, please forgive me but I find your post painfully hilarious!!!! I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I have a garden that people will ask if they can have some tomatoes and when I tell them they can have all they can pick, they look at me like I have lost my mind! Now I'm sure that all of you know just how easy it is to pick freaking tomatoes...its not like I am telling them to have at the okra. Picking tomatoes as easy as it gets and people some people still won't do it.

I offer them the chance to pic veggies and sell my eggs for 3.00 a doz. If they don't like it they can help themselves to the crap at the grocery store.

HA HA HA HA HA!
gig.gif
i couldn't agree more!

Same thing here, I don't clean my eggs either, I figure they can for getting them so cheap and/or free. 2 summers ago I had tomatoes go to waste because I couldn't find anyone with the "time" to come and pick them, and I was done. People are amazing....
barnie.gif
th.gif

Rosebud are you in Wisconsin also?

Last edited:
Here in Ohio, the eggs are selling at @ 2 - 3 $'s a dozen. Hold tight to your price. You could be kind and allow first-time customers have a sample dozen@ store price, be sure to advise them of your regular price ($2- $3)

Once they tasdte those golden beauties, they'll be bragging & bring more customer orders your way!

I have no problem selling at $3/dozen, but I think I could charge more. I have to drive into the city to sell them and I have someone who will do that for me for a dozen free eggs for the trouble. The only people who don't buy my eggs are my own relatives. I can't make someone understand something they're not ready to hear.

I agree with alicefelldown. You have to find the niche willing to pay for your product. Most people are cheap and just want the cheap eggs. They don't understand the value of a farm fresh egg. At $3/dozen that is 25cents an egg. My seller will sell 1 egg for a quarter and they come back quickly for more once they've seen and tasted the richness in the egg.

Varies widely depending on where you are... The other poster from WA said 3.50 a dozen which sounds about right for places a little farther out, that's about what they charge by my mom's house. I work and live in the city of Seattle though and the farmer's market sells for $6 a dozen here. People sell theirs at work for $6 as well, which is what I'll be charging for sure. If I get a good hatch I've decided to keep 3 girls instead of two just so I have more extras to unload at the office... Techies will pay an arm and a leg for those things!

I work at Wal-Mart and a couple ladies I work with buy all of my eggs (the ones we don't eat ourselves).

Right now I am getting $2 per dozen in North Central WI.

I haven't asked for more because I only have 4 layers right now and can't "produce" a steady enough supply of eggs.

However, with 11 growing pullets for mid December start, I am raising it to $2.50 then up to $3.

If it doesn't go well, I'll drop it back (can't hurt to try!)
wink.png

I sell mine for 3$ a dozen! They're not always fed organic foods but they are free range yummmmy eggs! I might raise my price to 3.50-4$ this summer

I sell for $2 a dozen, chickens are free ranging on grass most of the day. We live in the country, people won't pay much more than that for eggs.

Spring hit here and so did the egg bombs, went from 0 to 3 dz a day. Only feed they get is corn rest is all forage. Selling in my area really is hard since the Amish and every other house in country has a coop. I sold 12 dz yesterday for $.75 each to free some fridge space. Literally had 15 dz (Not counting less than perfect eggs 2 dz leftovers) in the fridge. And that's with us using at least 4 dz and giving 2 dz away. I thought about trying sell in paper but like I said around here everyone has birds. Those I sold were to a resturaunt a friend is running. I may try up them to $1 dz if he get regular. I was thinking about adding to flock if I had a serious outlet like that. But he got some from another person as well as buying from the grocery store. He may be trying some of each on his customers to see which sells best.
There is another shop in town I might check with owner see if he wants to sell some for me. But time will tell. I do plan on hatching quite a few but with 3dz a day I would need a mega bator to keep up.

Back
Top Bottom