Free range & layer crumbles

My flock of 5 hens barely touch their layer feed. They pick at it as soon as I let them out of the coop in the morning and get a quick snack before returning to the coop at night. They free range all day. As Davaroo suggests, I always leave it out for them anyway, even if the crows and wild turkeys stop by for a snack. From the Spring to the Fall, my girls eat minimal feed and forage to their hearts content on the 1 acre of grass surrounding the house.

But as Uncle ben would say, "with free ranging comes great responsibility". Proactive varmint control is essential. I used to be a mild mannered biochemist/equities analyst until I got chickens. Oh, don't get me wrong, I kept my day job, but at night, I've turned into a gun toting lunatic.

Okay, maybe that's a little harsh. But, I bought my first gun (a scoped .22 rifle) and a game camera and review my pictures every other day. When a dangerous critter shows up, I don't wait for an incident to occur, I cull the offending critter. I consider it to be an essential part of being able to "safely" free range my birds.

And as much enjoyment I get from watching them free range, honestly, I don't know if I'd keep chickens if I had to contain them. They sure are entertaining units!
big_smile.png

Thanks so much for all the great advice. I think we've agreed to let them out only on days when we're home so all the noise we and the kids usually make outside should scare off any predators. Wish us luck! Thanks again!
roll.png
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom