"free range"--let's get rid of this nonsense term

Pics
I brought home My first chicks to control Bugs. One step Would see 100s of grasshoppers, a bad year. 2009, 10, 11..? I THINK.. Was given eggs from folks that had their hens in cages that were the size of Bread Boxes..:duc:hit:rolleyes:. For those of us who Remember the size of A Bread Box.
Preferred my own girls's work & Haven't had bug problems since. MY Husband bought a coop for 'me' THIS YEAR. His 'need' more than mine or the chickens.:rolleyes::rolleyes: My own dogs, They've Learned, have killed more of My Chickens over the years than any predators. I AM NOT so excited I Need to clean c poop every hour of every day. Cracked buckets are filled with c poop off the b porch, fill with rain, snow, it mellows & used in the garden, or sold For the Next Year. Too HOT otherwise.. I have Many that LOVE my hen's eggs b/c they taste better than other eggs. Call them what you will. Showing my age but What Is In A Name, REALLY? :plbb:confused::lau:gig

I'm sure my chickens fit your definition of Free Range. When I open their pen gate in the morning, they are free to roam as far out into the world as they care to go. When they are out and about I'm not totally sure where they go but they show up late afternoon in plenty of time for dinner. I don't sell eggs, so don't need marketing terms but when I describe my chickens to others, I say they are Free Range.
that makes sense. otherwise...it's just a giant chicken "run" that people want to say "free range." there's nothing wrong with a chicken run.

You mean like free range cattle in India?

Does that mean if I confine them from walking through my bedroom they aren't free range?
they should definitely be able to snuggle and poop on your pillow. what i meant is that free range can be fenced as long as it includes your bedroom with roosts above your head board on your bed...

they should definitely be able to snuggle and poop on your pillow. what i meant is that free range can be fenced as long as it includes your bedroom with roosts above your head board on your bed...
you know what i mean...the ass clowns that say "free range" and it's a backyard the size of a living room.

you know what i mean...the ass clowns that say "free range" and it's a backyard the size of a living room.
I think this is very rude to say, I am not a clown for calling that free range not everyone has acres to let their chicken out in.To me free range is letting them out of the run while stopping them from going in to the neighbours or other places they should not go , like a vegetable garden, the porch, a road, but not completely restricting them. I think free range is a complicated word that can’t have one set meaning (unless it is for commercial stuff)

Your allowed to have your own opinion but don’t call people clowns for not having the same opinion as you

So
"free range." ---Your chickens can leave where you live and never come back because you live in an area with no fences...agreed..."free range."

not "free range"---you have any defined area whether it be 1 acre or 1000 acres of space with fences to keep your chickens from "free ranging"...that's basically a chicken "run."

doesn't matter either way...the term "free range" is worthless and mostly annoying. every time i hear it i instantly know the person i am dealing with just bought their first chickens.

"free range" is for the conglomerate egg sellers as a marketing ploy. i encourage you to eliminate this terminology.

the advantage that you all have is farm fresh nutritious eggs...because what you feed them is what matters. "free range" is the least essential part and that's why they market this...because....that's what costs the least...to upsell their product.
sorry, disagree

I think this is very rude to say, I am not a clown for calling that free range not everyone has acres to let their chicken out in.To me free range is letting them out of the run while stopping them from going in to the neighbours or other places they should not go , like a vegetable garden, the porch, a road, but not completely restricting them. I think free range is a complicated word that can’t have one set meaning (unless it is for commercial stuff)

Your allowed to have your own opinion but don’t call people clowns for not having the same opinion as you
🙌👈

Back
Top Bottom