"free range"--let's get rid of this nonsense term

Pics
What I think of the term "Free Range"

Meaning the chicken has access to grass, bugs, other plants, aka the elements.

I have a large run for my chickens (50 square feet per bird) but I still don't consider that free range because they've eaten all the grass, and have a limited amount of space.

I am just a backyard chicken keeper with a flock of 16 birds, and I only live on about an acre (a little less than that, like 7/8ths of an acre) but I try to frequently let the birds out into the grass. I had a bit of an issue with the hens going into the neighbors yard (they could dart through the trees and into their yard, naughty birds) but I am putting up a quick safety fence. It will only be fencing off the section they dart through into the neighbors yard.

I personally will still consider it free range as they have the rest of most of an acre, and can go anywhere besides that little section.

It's a pain though because I have to constantly watch them when free ranging because of numerous predators that have attacked while the hens were free ranging.

Anyway, I don't think that the term free range is stupid. And no, I'm not a brand new chicken keeper (though I'm still learning lots!)

I wonder if a roofed run qualifies as "outside".

When I see the term "pastured" for meat birds I assume that they were raised in a Salatin-style tractor or some such system -- given fresh ground regularly, but not left out in the elements vulnerable to predation.

But with "pastured" layers I assume a rotating pen system to allow regrowth between uses. Again, I don't assume free access to anywhere and I do assume protection against weather and predators.

My assumptions are probably wrong in some aspects, but a feral flock would not be very productive so I would never expect a producer to keep his flock absolutely unconfined and unprotected.
Yes, a truly feral flock would indeed be as unproductive to us as the jackrabbits or doves around here. And if I kept these domesticated, clueless birds absolutely unconfined and unprotected, they wouldn't last one night out here in the desert.
My very tamed lap babies are free to wander but they forage as close to my back door as possible. So they are "free range" but not "predator-vulnerable." My 120 lb German Shepherd loves his job of chasing coyotes (or anything else) away. I wouldn't dream of leaving them outside their coop when he's not with them, and they are securely locked up at night.
As for hawks, my chicks rest on my back porch or under heavy foliage in the yard. I saw three hawks circling yesterday and waved my arms and shouted, which didn't faze the hawks. But when the dog trotted into view, they flew off immediately in search of less risky prey.
So how could they be described? They are free to range and eat grass and bugs and roll in the dirt and enjoy the sunshine when the dog is guarding them, they are confined to their covered but airy outdoor dirt run when he's not, and they are cooped inside at night.

"free range." ---Your chickens can leave where you live and never come back because you live in an area with no fences...agreed..."free range."

not "free range"---you have any defined area whether it be 1 acre or 1000 acres of space with fences to keep your chickens from "free ranging"...that's basically a chicken "run."

doesn't matter either way...the term "free range" is worthless and mostly annoying. every time i hear it i instantly know the person i am dealing with just bought their first chickens.

"free range" is for the conglomerate egg sellers as a marketing ploy. i encourage you to eliminate this terminology.

the advantage that you all have is farm fresh nutritious eggs...because what you feed them is what matters. "free range" is the least essential part and that's why they market this...because....that's what costs the least...to upsell their product.
I use the term "free range" for its basic definition. My birds have absolutely no restrictions on where they can not go (except in ny house or garden). They travel through our fields, woods, pastures, yards, etc. No this is not the same as the commercial growers definition of the term where simply "access to the outdoors" is all that is required.
I have personally kept chickens for only 4 years. I describe my set up often on this forum to anyone who chooses to read my posts or messages as "free range" to inform the reader that I do not have a coop & run set up. Therefore many factors of chicken keeping may be different for the reader whom does have a C&R but may be adapted.

You're right that the feed is what makes the difference in the eggs. However, a store bought egg and most eggs from run raised birds have a similar yolk and similar flavor. Because both are relying on feed as their primary food source. My birds get pelletized feed as only a supplement for most of the year. Their primary diet is what they forage on their own. There is no debate that true free range birds raised on their own forage have darker, and more strongly flavored eggs.
I never compare quality of egg between my best friend's C&R eggs and mine. They are both excellent quality. But in taste and appearance there is no confusion.

Sorry if you find it annoying.

I encourage you to watch super size me 2, its free on Youtube, talks about the factory farming of chickens. Free range doesn't mean what you think it means to the big chicken industry. If you want chickens that actually can get outside and not be stuck in small cages and wander around big fields all day long I suggest you buy eggs from other backyard chicken owners that you know and trust. for a product to be labeled as free range all the people have to do is allow the chicken to step foot outside the building, meaning you can fence off a section that is literally is one foot away from the opening to the building and its considered free range. There is no size requirements for a space to consider the chicken free range.
All the terminology is bogus if you take its common sense logical meaning and compare it to the industry's definitions.

Example: "No antibiotics" why would you not help keep an animal healthy? ALL antibiotics used in livestock have strict withdrawal requirements. So animals can only be slaughtered after the alotted time. Why is that bad? Animals suffering from raging infections that are easily treatable is better? Or infected animals slaughtered for consumption?
Its all marketing ploys of deception with the average consumer not taking the time to understand what the terminology really means vs the idealistic frolicking animal in open fields vision they have in their heads.

All the terminology is bogus if you take its common sense logical meaning and compare it to the industry's definitions.

Example: "No antibiotics" why would you not help keep an animal healthy? ALL antibiotics used in livestock have strict withdrawal requirements. So animals can only be slaughtered after the alotted time. Why is that bad? Animals suffering from raging infections that are easily treatable is better? Or infected animals slaughtered for consumption?
Its all marketing ploys of deception with the average consumer not taking the time to understand what the terminology really means vs the idealistic frolicking animal in open fields vision they have in their heads.
Constant unnecessary use of antibiotics can cause superbugs

In that scenario, no antibiotics means no preventative antibiotics, not that all antibiotics were withheld.

Constant unnecessary use of antibiotics can cause superbugs
Overuse or misuse of antibiotics. Tell that to the docs or parents who prescribe antibiotics for viruses. Been preaching it for years.

Giving a cow WITH an infection that will cure it is not the same as mass distribution in their feed or water to "keep them safe" when they weren't sick to begin with. Yet, according to the packaging, they are.

In that scenario, no antibiotics means no preventative antibiotics, not that all antibiotics were withheld.
Oh no. That is not what I have been told by locals. The farms here must "Red Tag" all animals who were given an antibiotic. They are still slaughtered after the withdrawl time but can not be sold has with "no antibiotic" label and bring less money than the same cow in the same pasture that wasn't given the medicine.

I understand why preventative antibiotics are given. Logistically speaking it would be impossible to go through millions oh heads of livestock and give each its own personal physical.
My point is that the label containing "no antibiotics" is another marketing ploy to make the consumer think its a higher quality product therefore worth the higher price tag. Just like the industrys use of "free range." When NO meat on the supermarket shelf contains antibiotics because these animals can only be slaughtered after the withdrawl time. So therefore at the time of slaughter, ALL meat has no antibiotics in it and there is no need to put the label on the package. So then why is it there?

So therefore at the time of slaughter, ALL meat has no antibiotics in it and there is no need to put the label on the package. So then why is it there?
I'm not an expert, but from what I've read, just because the withdrawal period has passed does not mean there is no drug residue. It just means the level is below the maximum allowable limit. If the animal was given antibiotics, there is a risk that there are still residues.

Also, non-compliance with withdrawal periods is a problem, at least in some places.

Back
Top Bottom