"free range"--let's get rid of this nonsense term

Pics
When we let our chickens free range, they remain within about a half acre although they could go about half a mile in any direction without finding other people’s dwellings. To me free range means they can range freely. But they have no desire to get lost or go too far. View attachment 2703061
I was dismayed to learn (good info to know, Carson213, thanks) that unscrupulous egg companies have misappropriated the term. "Free range" on bare dirt, no matter the acreage, would only provide a stray bug or two and some exercise. What backyard chicken keepers and their egg customers understand by "free range" is long hours of exercise, sunshine, greens, and bugs. I've seen the term "pastured chickens" to mean the same thing.
20210611_065858.jpg

My flock of 14 are fence free (with my German Shepherd guarding them) to wander our 80 acres surrounded by 10,000 acres of virgin desert. But they choose to do their foraging on my shady lawn, full of insects and yummy herbage, and snooze on the porch furniture.
Free Range chickens.jpg
Free Range Chickens on Ruger.jpg

Porch chickens.jpg

I was dismayed to learn (good info to know, Carson213, thanks) that unscrupulous egg companies have misappropriated the term. "Free range" on bare dirt, no matter the acreage, would only provide a stray bug or two and some exercise. What backyard chicken keepers and their egg customers understand by "free range" is long hours of exercise, sunshine, greens, and bugs. I've seen the term "pastured chickens" to mean the same thing.
View attachment 2713944
My flock of 14 are fence free (with my German Shepherd guarding them) to wander our 80 acres surrounded by 10,000 acres of virgin desert. But they choose to do their foraging on my shady lawn, full of insects and yummy herbage, and snooze on the porch furniture. View attachment 2713974View attachment 2713976
View attachment 2713977
“Pastured” is usually confined. 2-3 sf max per chicken. Yes, moved to new grass each day, but, I’m not so sure that’s a trade off I want. I, personally, would rather have a well managed diet with outdoor access, sunshine and room to roam, even if it were on dirt.

As part of 1 or 2 above, for the claim Free Range on poultry products, the documentation must describe the housing conditions for the birds and demonstrate continuous, free access to the outside throughout their normal growing cycle. During the winter months in a northern climate, birds are not free range if they stay in poultry housing or coops all winter. Producer documentation to support the use of the claim for birds raised in a northern climate during winter months would also need to describe the housing conditions for the birds and demonstrate continuous, free access to the outside throughout their normal growing cycle.

I wonder if a roofed run qualifies as "outside".

I've seen the term "pastured chickens" to mean the same thing.

When I see the term "pastured" for meat birds I assume that they were raised in a Salatin-style tractor or some such system -- given fresh ground regularly, but not left out in the elements vulnerable to predation.

But with "pastured" layers I assume a rotating pen system to allow regrowth between uses. Again, I don't assume free access to anywhere and I do assume protection against weather and predators.

My assumptions are probably wrong in some aspects, but a feral flock would not be very productive so I would never expect a producer to keep his flock absolutely unconfined and unprotected.

Marketing terms used by the food industry are misleading at best.

"Free range" means they have access to the outside, but the outdoor space provided doesn't need to be very large and most cases they don't ever leave the building.

"Cage free" means they are not kept in cages but still have the same amount of space as if they were.

There are other terms that sound great but if you look up the regs, are BS.
Sadly true.

“Pastured” is usually confined. 2-3 sf max per chicken. Yes, moved to new grass each day, but, I’m not so sure that’s a trade off I want. I, personally, would rather have a well managed diet with outdoor access, sunshine and room to roam, even if it were on dirt.
Yes, you're right--the term "pastured" does imply fencing (or even tractoring), and if you only have a tiny patch per chicken, that's not the true idea of free ranging. And I agree that if all I had was dirt and sunshine to offer them, the chickens would appreciate it. Outside my lawn my flock is free to roam over thousands of acres of dirt desert dotted with mesquite trees, desert bloom, yucca, cactus, ocotillo, etc. They don't ever wander there, but they do love to roll in that soft dirt!

Yes, you're right--the term "pastured" does imply fencing (or even tractoring), and if you only have a tiny patch per chicken, that's not the true idea of free ranging. And I agree that if all I had was dirt and sunshine to offer them, the chickens would appreciate that! Outside my lawn they have hundreds of acres of dirt desert among mesquite. And they do love to roll in that dirt!

Back
Top Bottom