"free range"--let's get rid of this nonsense term

Pics
I'm not an expert, but from what I've read, just because the withdrawal period has passed does not mean there is no drug residue. It just means the level is below the maximum allowable limit. If the animal was given antibiotics, there is a risk that there are still residues.

Also, non-compliance with withdrawal periods is a problem, at least in some places.
https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/antibiotic_residue_testing_in_meat_results_in_few_positive_samples

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/antibiotics-in-your-food

And every thing "causes cancer in California. "
So don't live in California and you're fine right?
There are plenty of things we are exposed to everyday that are far more harmful than than the less than 1% chance of consuming meat in violation of these standards. Thats 1% found in violation where the meat is held from market for confirmation and therefore not available for sale.

Look we got off the threads original topic and I guess its my fault for bringing up the whole antibiotic thing in the first place.

Remember this is "backyard chickens" not huge commercial chicken growers forum. So the industry terminology does not reflect the visions we have when reading it. This forum probably does. "Free range" mentioned on this site is more likely to mean our ideology of open spaces, no fences, and happy chickens.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/antibiotic_residue_testing_in_meat_results_in_few_positive_samples

And every thing "causes cancer in California. "
So don't live in California and you're fine right?
There are plenty of things we are exposed to everyday that are far more harmful than than the less than 1% chance of consuming meat in violation of these standards. Thats 1% found in violation where the meat is held from market for confirmation and therefore not available for sale.

Look we got off the threads original topic and I guess its my fault for bringing up the whole antibiotic thing in the first place.

Remember this is "backyard chickens" not huge commercial chicken growers forum. So the industry terminology does not reflect the visions we have when reading it. This forum probably does. "Free range" mentioned on this site is more likely to mean our ideology of open spaces, no fences, and happy chickens.
On my bag of pine shaving it also says something about breathing them in and it possibly causing cancer. :idunno

On my bag of pine shaving it also says something about breathing them in and it possibly causing cancer. :idunno
I dont know if you shop at Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops but almost every product they sell comes with an online warning something like "this product contains materials shown to cause cancer in California." This language is found everywhere it seems like and has become a running joke around here.

I dont know if you shop at Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops but almost every product they sell comes with an online warning something like "this product contains materials shown to cause cancer in California." This language is found everywhere it seems like and has become a running joke around here.
I don't do much shopping there, but yeah, thats basically what the label says.

I encourage you to watch super size me 2, its free on Youtube, talks about the factory farming of chickens. Free range doesn't mean what you think it means to the big chicken industry. If you want chickens that actually can get outside and not be stuck in small cages and wander around big fields all day long I suggest you buy eggs from other backyard chicken owners that you know and trust. for a product to be labeled as free range all the people have to do is allow the chicken to step foot outside the building, meaning you can fence off a section that is literally is one foot away from the opening to the building and its considered free range. There is no size requirements for a space to consider the chicken free range.
I watched it a few times. I was shocked at the stuff that came out about the chicken industry. I encourage everyone to watch it. A very enlightening education!

When we let our chickens free range, they remain within about a half acre although they could go about half a mile in any direction without finding other people’s dwellings. To me free range means they can range freely. But they have no desire to get lost or go too far. View attachment 2703061
That's what my birds have too! No fences and they stay fairy close to the house and barns. Totally free to come and go as they please. About 8:30-9:00 pm they go into their coop and I lock the door for the night. Bonus - no ticks anywhere around the house and barns.

All I know... “free ranged” or not....predators can and will take them at any advantage...my friend that gave me the quail eggs just lost his flock of 20 “free ranged” chickens that would roam the 5 acres by day and return to be locked up at night....mid day a husky came through and killed all but 4 hens and a roo...then a coon got the injured roo the next day.....now he is building a “run” with a closed top and sides....I tried to tell em, but it’s his first flock so.....
Some of us have farm dogs that protect our livestock so they can free range safely.

I'm sure my chickens fit your definition of Free Range. When I open their pen gate in the morning, they are free to roam as far out into the world as they care to go. When they are out and about I'm not totally sure where they go but they show up late afternoon in plenty of time for dinner. I don't sell eggs, so don't need marketing terms but when I describe my chickens to others, I say they are Free Range.

Back
Top Bottom