Free range, my chicks are 3 weeks old,

EdwardG

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 7, 2012
Missouri
My Buff Orpington chicks are 3 weeks old, when can I start to free range them, and how do I go about it? I had one person tell's me to start about an 1hr before sunset let them out and when it gets dark they will go back in, just keep going longer and longer each day, I also have guineas that I am raising with them, fast little critters, they are 3 weeks old also.

oh I also have a Jack Russell, he likes to come in with me, do you think I can train him to be a watchdog?

Thanks Edward

Last edited:
I would be really careful with your dog-- how does he react to the chicks now? I have a Schnauzer and she is acting like chicken is to EAT-- and I had mine in a cardboard "tractor" (coop/ run wasnt ready til today)-- and either she or some other varmit ( I have been finding dead rats/ and a squirrel in the AMs when the dog is inside with me all night so I think we have a cat issue) managed to get a chick out from underneath and kill it-- it was lying off by itself all lonesome, my biggest bird as well-- they were 4 weeks old-- they certainly did love to get on fresh grass and forage and eat bugs too but I think they will be confined Birds til they get a little bigger and more able to handle themselves...They are Jersey Giants and I think a 10 lb bird will be more capable then these 1 lb little chicklets currently... Mine have been out on the grass since they were 2 and 3 weeks old they love it-- but you need to supervise them....

My Buff Orpington chicks are 3 weeks old, when can I start to free range them, and how do I go about it? I had one person tell's me to start about an 1hr before sunset let them out and when it gets dark they will go back in, just keep going longer and longer each day, I also have guineas that I am raising with them, fast little critters, they are 3 weeks old also.

oh I also have a Jack Russell, he likes to come in with me, do you think I can train him to be a watchdog?

Thanks Edward
A Jack Russel probably won't do well with chickens... Have you introduced him to the chicks at all? If not, you should, with a leash. If he doesn't handle them well, then you absolutely cannot leave them him unattended with them outside.

As far as free ranging your chicks, I started mine off at 4-6 weeks. We have no predator problems where we live, (so far) which is something you will really have to watch for. Neighbors cats, dogs, hawks, snakes, etc. Depending on where you live it may or may not be a problem. Do you have older chickens? If so then they should not be put out with them yet. Just last night I found a 3 month old that had been attacked by an older chicken, and was to left be eaten by ants. He had to be culled. The other 3 month olds are now locked back up in their tractor until they are bigger.

A Jack Russel probably won't do well with chickens... Have you introduced him to the chicks at all? If not, you should, with a leash. If he doesn't handle them well, then you absolutely cannot leave them him unattended with them outside.

Spot does ok with them he try's to herd them. We also have a "golly" (golden retriever and collie mix) and a dalmation. Spot is the only one who goes in the coop with me.

As far as free ranging your chicks, I started mine off at 4-6 weeks.

How did you start?

We have no predator problems where we live, (so far) which is something you will really have to watch for. Neighbors cats, dogs, hawks, snakes, etc.

Yes to ALL but the dogs take care of that and so does "MARLIN" and he is the LAST resort. we have raised meat chickens in the past.

Depending on where you live it may or may not be a problem.

we live in the country 33 acres

Do you have older chickens?

no

Last edited:
Okay, so it looks like it should be pretty easy. If you dog does well with them and you can predators to a minimum.

I started mine pretty much as you talked about. I kept them in the coop for a few days (I have a divided coop, so they were separate from my older chickens) and when they learned that was where they were supposed to sleep I let them out about 3 hours before sunset. I kept a close eye on them for the first hour or so, and then just came out and checked on them every now and then. They all went back to roost that night like they had been doing that all their lives. They got let out the next morning (by accident) with the other chickens and have been free ranging every day since.

Last edited:
We learn that lesson about 3 years ago with some meat chicks, we bought about 70 and put them in a deep cattle waterer the next morning there was only 5 left. That was a valuable lesson. This will be our first egg layer batch.

Back
Top Bottom