Free Range Peafowl?

Ramblin Rooster

Hatchaholic
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
Fairfield, Connecticut
Hi I live on a 2 acre lot with a 4 stall horse barn, one stall occupied by hens and one by sheep. I was interested in getting sone peafowl to walk around my property but we have a coyote and fox problem and I do not want to keep the peafowl locked up. Can they fend for themselves? I would provide them shelter in a stall at night but would they use it? We are I'm Connecticut and have cold winters, would they be alright? And as for cars our road is very quiet and we rarely see cars others than our own not to mention all the houses around us are on the market for sale. Please let me know! :D

I been free ranging my peas for almost 3 years, i started out with babies and turned them loose at the age of 4 months, i have never lost one to a critter and we have plenty here but my dogs keep them in check, all in all i feel pretty lucky because i have alot of land for mine to range, but ya know if they see something like a critter they will persure it no matter what it is, if they find it to be a danger they fly home but if it tries to get away they will persue it till it out runs them or flys away so there is always a danger of them leaving my properties.

You can teach them to stay in an area but it take alot of persistance like hearding them back to where you want them to stay and sometimes it takes months of catching them where they are not supose to be, i am at the point with mine that if they are somewher they are not supose to be i fuss at them and they will turn around and head back to the safe zone unless they are investigating something.

My youngest peas have finely stated venturing out into the fields and woods so we have been going on walkabout togeather so they can learn where the safe zone is.

I don't know how you will keep them on 2 acres mine range at least 25 of mine daily and now that nesting time is her my hens have been wondering back even farther but it don't hurt to try , just have a back up plan cause my peas love my truck and i don't care but other will noyt want their autos scratched up by them, you may not have neighbors now but sooner or later someone is gonna be your close neighbor with only 2 acres and houses on the maket near by.

I am no expert, but I don't think two acres will do, I think they'll be over the fence and wandering around the neighborhood. I'm on 7 acres now and my tame ones get to free range, but *only* when I'm here to watch them.

Peafowl like to wander for miles. I live smack dab in the middle of 36 acres and a peacock found me. While he loved going to the shop to watch us work, he did eventually wander about. One day a neighbor a mile down the road called to tell me my peacock was in her garden. She wasn't too happy about it. A week later George, the peacock, suffered a catastrophic injury caused by a bullet. While he survived the injury, he is lame, and now stays in a pen. While I wish I could allow him to roam, I'd get tired of paying for the neighbors' ruined gardens. Not to mention I'd probably end up burying him.

I am no expert, but I don't think two acres will do, I think they'll be over the fence and wandering around the neighborhood. I'm on 7 acres now and my tame ones get to free range, but *only* when I'm here to watch them.
i did not get peas till i retired for good, i am home all the time unless DH has medical problems but in all those weeks i was gone from here my dogs took care of the flocks and the peas were all still here
smile.png

I love my dogs

I don't worry about predators, I worry about them going over the fence and into the road or the neighbors yard!

Nice looking dogs!

Thanks great info and lovely photos! I have a 24 by 21 ft chicken run for my hens but i dont think a peacock colds fit throught their door, if I were to keep them there would it be enough space?

Back
Top Bottom