free range question!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickalator, Dec 7, 2008.

1. chickalator

chickalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    will my hens go inside ny themselves at night or do i need to coax them in. thanks!

2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    the first few night you may have to put them up yourself but after that they should go in on there own and all you have to do is lock the door [​IMG]

i did the same with my free range bantys but now they go in at night on there own and all i have to do it lock the door and back indoors for me

3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    My chickens have always gone in as the light starts to drop. They need to know where they live so you need to give them time in their coop to ensure they know their home and then they should go to that safe place as it starts to get dark.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Once they know where home is, they'll go back on their own.

5. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    If they are used to roosting in this coop and know their food is there, they will return to it on their own. At least any chicken I've been associated with has behaved this way.

Wayne

6. You need to keep them in your barn/coop/pen for a few days.
    Then let them out for a short time in the afternoon for a few days.
    Then let them out in the morning and watch them at dusk to be sure they go in. This should not be a big thing. They know where the food is and the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by