Free Range Roo & Corn and Birdseeds- Help!

Iowa Roo Mom

Resistance Is Futile
11 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Keokuk County
Help! The weather is getting warmer and my roo is free range (unless we're gone or during the night) He spends ALOT of time under the birdfeeders in the summer and I'm just now reading that corn and birdseeds canraise body temp in the summer. What can I do? Not feeding the birds is not an option (due to other members of the household) and I really don't want him to have to be in his run 24/7... Please Help!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't worry too much. Corn won't hurt him in the summer and if there's sunflower seed in the mix, it's good for him. As long as he has other food available to him and he's free ranging, he should be ok. Are you feeding him a layer feed, along with your hens? That has more calcium than a rooster needs. If that's his regular food, then eating some of the bird seed to dilute the extra calcium is probably good for him.

A bigger concern for me would be more concentrated exposure to disease organisms or parasites from the wild birds. On the other hand, they get exposed to some of that while free ranging, anyway. I've always fed the wild birds, too. Over the years, I've had flocks that could get to the bird feeder area and flocks that couldn't. Health wise, it hasn't seemed to make a bit of difference here.

I agree with WW. I tried feeding the wild birds as far away from my chicken coop as possible due to the bio-security issues, but my chickens discovered the bounty under the wild bird feeders anyhow. I haven't experienced any issues from it *knock on wood*. They are exposed to wild birds in their free ranging anyhow.

I feed my chickens corn and birdseed all year round. The are sort of free range in the summer. I think as long as there is plenty of shade and water, you don' t really have much to worry about. The chickens are usually smart enough to find the coolest places and the right food, if they have access to it. I have found mine standing in the birdbath to cool off.

Back
Top Bottom