Free range vs run

It is a risk tolerance issue. We have a pretty secure run. No losses in it in 3 1/2 years. We also have a fenced area that is just 2'x4" welded wire. No cover. We lost three 8 week chicks this summer. Half of our new birds. We were in the yard most of the day and did not witness it. Never found the culprit. I suspect a weasel or hawk. After keeping all birds in the secure run for two months we just started letting them out again. Fingers crossed that as they are now full grown they will escape all but the worst attacks.

My coops are about 10 sq ft/bird to allow enough space to keep them happy when completely locked up and through our frigid winters. I’m in the process of building a secure run on two of my coops. I have yet to lose one but there’s a 200 acre forest across the street from me so it’s a gamble. I have aerial and just about every ground predator you can think of besides bear. I free range only when I’m in the yard as I’ve witnessed way too many unwanted guests passing through. I’m hoping my secured runs give me a piece of mind but I doubt they fully will

I have a very secure coop and run area, however I do let them free roam when I am home only from daylight to around 3 to 4 pm. I also have 3 yappy dogs who alert me even when there are deer in the yard. We live in the woods of TN, we have it all. Bears, a Mountain Lion, Bobcats, racoons and others. I worry most about my mini coop which is attached to the big coop that I keep juvenile birds in until they are big and old enough to get in the big coop. I have seen scratches on that coop from something that wanted in. I am going to try and post 3 photos. I will post and see what comes up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200610_155131.jpg
    IMG_20200610_155131.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
Hey all,
I just wanted opinions on how you keep your chickens, I free range mine but was wondering what your opinions were on it. I had an accident with a weasle/mink yesterday and I'm weighing my options if I should turn to a run rather than free range. What are your thoughts?
We keep 9 hens. Over the years we have had some loss, mainly due to predation. Hawks, coons, possums and neighborhood dogs when we free ranged. We have settled on an electric fence which has eliminated everything but the hawks. When the spring/summer foliage is good we give a big area, which includes fencing in the woods. When the foliage is off we restrict the area due to hawk predation. We also have a not often used trailer in the area to provide cover.

Mine go in on their own when it starts getting dark but if I wanted them in before that all I have to do is walk out there, they follow me everywhere
Mine go in on their own too. Except there were a few weeks where about 10 of them decided they wanted to sleep on the fence outside the coop, which is definitely too low to be safe. So every night I went out after dark and moved them into the coop. This problem stopped after I sold off a bunch of roosters and then hens had no interest in being on the fence by themselves.

I recently built a 'Fort Knox' coop and run that has electric fence all around it and is definitely predator proof. I've lost hens before to 'coons, bears, foxes, you name it. I feel like since I raised these hens from chicks that it's my responsibility to protect them. The previous coop I had a bear went through it like a wet paper bag. It was quite a horrible scene and I vowed then and there that that would not happen again. So they stay in all the time and I bring 'em all kinds of stuff from outside the coop and that seems to keep them happy.

For those who allow free range on weekends/ or while at home only, have you noticed your chickens being especially grumpy while confined? I've seen other posts on BYC in the past where that seemed to be an issue for some chicken keepers.
My girls have a real big enclosed grassy run but still hate being locked in there for a day if the weather is bad or I am away for the whole day, they have worn a path where they run up and down the side of the wire and make such a racket if they see me🤣

I used to keep my flock entirely free-range and didn't have a problem for years (apart from wild birds eating all the feed out of the automatic feeder). However, last year the entire flock was eliminated by an unknown predator in one night.

I think that while chickens love to free-range, you need to carefully assess your circumstances and what kind of threats would be in your area. I believe chickens can be just as happy in a large, secure run with perches and (dry) earth to scratch at - it just takes a lot more effort to maintain.

Back
Top Bottom