Free range vs run

Hey all,
I just wanted opinions on how you keep your chickens, I free range mine but was wondering what your opinions were on it. I had an accident with a weasle/mink yesterday and I'm weighing my options if I should turn to a run rather than free range. What are your thoughts?
I used to let my sweet girls go all over. They were so happy. I had a few mishaps with predators and it really scared me. My 10 went down to 4 so I just confined them to my very large yard. I really hated all of the poop on my porches, but I knew they were happy. Then a stray dog managed to get in and it was terrible. Now we have 12 new chickens 8 RIR 4 Rocks. We bought 3 of those nice Tractor S. chicken coops and put them all together. Then we built a very nice hen house. They have a very large coop. I only let them out on weekends and if I get home from work early enough. The time change really stinks. They are safe and I think happy enough for me. They just turned 24 weeks and 2 started laying.

I have 24 chickens with a run that is a little bigger than 150x150 feet. I have the space to free range them but I don’t want them tearing up my landscape or garden...or pooping around the house on my patio. My coop is also only about 50 feet from my house. My thought would be that if they have ample space in a run, what would be the benefit of free range? They would be able to forage more but it would be on stuff I planted and don’t want them to eat ;) They’re run is currently full of vegetation but once they wipe all of that out I was going to add onto the run and then alternate them between two different parts to allow vegetation to grow back. When my chickens first started going out into the run, there was orchard grass about 3 feet tall. In the past 3-4 months they have brought it down to about 1 foot and the area right next to the coop is bare. They are good “weed eaters!”

My question would be...what is the value of not having a run?...aside from not having to buy and install fencing...

I used to let my sweet girls go all over. They were so happy. I had a few mishaps with predators and it really scared me. My 10 went down to 4 so I just confined them to my very large yard. I really hated all of the poop on my porches, but I knew they were happy. Then a stray dog managed to get in and it was terrible. Now we have 12 new chickens 8 RIR 4 Rocks. We bought 3 of those nice Tractor S. chicken coops and put them all together. Then we built a very nice hen house. They have a very large coop. I only let them out on weekends and if I get home from work early enough. The time change really stinks. They are safe and I think happy enough for me. They just turned 24 weeks and 2 started laying.
I have three friends who free range and like you said...they poop everywhere...patios, patio furniture, etc...

I live in the city limits of a small town, with 6 hens and because of local ordinances. I can not have mine loose. They are in a attached run, I ended up having to have my husband put a roof on it, because our barred rock (who loves us and treats) would fly over the fence when we walked outside. ha ha. They don't seem to mind being penned. I toss them all the grass clippings/weeds/garden left overs they can eat.

so aside from less cost in building a run and a smaller coop...is there any actual benefit to truly free range? what does free range mean? i have 155 acres...but if i fenced it...they wouldn’t really be completely free range. how much space per bird is considered free range on this forum?...i know the technical definition...but people use the term differently. i have friends who live on 1 acre with “free range” chickens and the space that’s free range is smaller than my run...

honest question...what is “free range” for you actual chicken peeps?

honest question...what is “free range” for you actual chicken peeps?

Of course this is subjective...

A chicken run ends up with no plants, or a very few tough ones, and is otherwise covered in dirt, mud, sand, wood chips, or some other kind of litter.

If any fences are so distant the chickens never wander far enough to find them, then it's certainly free range.

If the area is big enough that the plants remain in good condition, and the chickens have room to run and fly and separate into different groups if they choose, but it still has a fence, then it's less clear to me, but I'd probably be willing to call it "free range." (Although I might say "pasture" instead.)

Size and number of chickens both matter to me. So a space 10 feet each way is just too small to be "free range" even for a few chickens, while an entire acre could be free range or a run depending on the number of chickens. 12 chickens--free range. Thousands of chickens-- just a large run.

I've decided to keep mine restricted to the (movable) run. I have only 3 chickens, but my yard is small and there are neighbors on all sides. I worry my hens will wander into neighbors yard, which is behind a screen of tall grasses, and then I won't be able to see them or get them to come back to our yard. I don't think my neighbors will appreciate them pooping and digging up their gardens.

Also, we have many raccoons and skunks in the neighborhood; and sometimes hawks. I figure mine 'free range' within the safe confines of the run, which we move around as needed so they always have fresh 'range' to graze and explore.
Do you mind me asking, how many sq ft is your run?

My last flock was free range-they were out all day every day. They all died of old age, the last one was 14...When I let my new batch of 6 out on their first day of free ranging, the Red Tail came and nearly got one-her comb and face were bloodied, 2 were missing for an hour, it was utter chaos and terror (but no casualties) so now I keep them in. Their run is about 30' long, 12' wide, attached to their house which is a 14'x14' shed so I hope they are content.

Back
Top Bottom