Free range

Just be warned if you use a red solo cup for their treats and YOUR drinks they won't know the difference and beg and beg while you are trying to relax. But then again mine do it with coffee cups, wine glasses , water bottles pretty much anything I have in my hand. When I show them it's just coffee they get offended and start whining. Bless their little hearts.
Nothing worse than chickens whining.....

What time are closing them up? If it's too early, they don't want to go in hence the chasing.
Try this... Arm yourself with a good flashlight and maybe a friend/hubby/significant other. Place a couple chairs out there with a beverage/reading material.

Let them stay out and see what they do. Chances are they'll put themselves in. Usually young pullets will stay out way later than older wiser hens. But they will go in. You might be just locking them up on your schedule not theirs.

X3 on the placement of coop. Try to get them shade over the run and perches/things to do while in the run. They're wide open out there and the chicken wire won't stop a fox/coon/dog.
Chicken wire only keeps chickens in.

Edited to add.. when you decide to start free ranging them and they start venturing out they are gonna gravitate to the trees for shade and cover. That's where they'll spend most of their time. Their coop should be close by some other form of cover.

Last edited:
We moved our 5 week old light Brahmas (6 of them) in to the coop/run Tuesday afternoon. Coop is 4’ x 6’ and the run is the same size because we plan to let the free range. I was trying to find out how people get their chickens to come back into the coop at night and keep reading that you are supposed to keep them in the coop for the first 2 weeks before letting them out and after that they will come back to the coop on their own at night. We lock them up tight at night in the coop but I have to catch them (in the run) and put them in there. My question is: they have had access to the run during the day for the past two days, did I mess things up? Do they have to be confined to the coop exclusively, or can they have access to the run? We have a large property and I want to make sure we don’t have to chase them every night to get them into the coop. Not planning to let them free range for at least a couple weeks until they are a little bigger. View attachment 3658520 Sorry if this seems like it should be common sense but I just don’t know. Everyone told me chickens are easy but I’m constantly afraid I’m going to do something wrong!
I treat mine to meal worms in the coop each evening when it's time for bed. They quickly learn when it's time and where to go for their daily treat!

I treat mine to meal worms in the coop each evening when it's time for bed. They quickly learn when it's time and where to go for their daily treat!

Quote Reply

We moved our 5 week old light Brahmas (6 of them) in to the coop/run Tuesday afternoon. Coop is 4’ x 6’ and the run is the same size because we plan to let the free range. I was trying to find out how people get their chickens to come back into the coop at night and keep reading that you are supposed to keep them in the coop for the first 2 weeks before letting them out and after that they will come back to the coop on their own at night. We lock them up tight at night in the coop but I have to catch them (in the run) and put them in there. My question is: they have had access to the run during the day for the past two days, did I mess things up? Do they have to be confined to the coop exclusively, or can they have access to the run? We have a large property and I want to make sure we don’t have to chase them every night to get them into the coop. Not planning to let them free range for at least a couple weeks until they are a little bigger. View attachment 3658520 Sorry if this seems like it should be common sense but I just don’t know. Everyone told me chickens are easy but I’m constantly afraid I’m going to do something wrong!
I was new to chickens this summer and at dusk they were always in the run and I’d put them in the coop by hand. After a week of this I felt I was doing something wrong and talked to a seasoned chicken owner. She said wait a half hour after sunset and see if they’ve gone in on their own. Sure enough they all went in on their own. I was probably putting them in too early. No problems since. It was almost dark some nights which is why I thought I needed to put them in. Maybe check a half hour after sunset . It’s worth a try. I was driving myself nuts!

My husband built my coop so it it can be divided, 3/4 for hens 1/4 for chicks, there is also a small sick bay. I keep my chicks in-closed their coop until they are full feathered. After they can go out to their small run, I call it their play pen. The only place they can get food and water is in their coop. When they get to be half their adult size, at night, I remove the mesh divider between the hen and chick sections. When I open the coop in the morning to allow my hens to free range, the chicks usually stay close to the coop near the food and water. They will venture out further every day.
We have a saying "you control the water, you control the animal."

The previous poster is right, they are too young. Try putting some scratch grain (favorite treat) or feed in the coop at dusk and CALMLY herd them in to the coop. Don't chase them, they will never learn when they are scared. Putting an owl decoy up will terrify the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom