Free range

Donette

Chirping
Sep 9, 2023
We moved our 5 week old light Brahmas (6 of them) in to the coop/run Tuesday afternoon. Coop is 4’ x 6’ and the run is the same size because we plan to let the free range. I was trying to find out how people get their chickens to come back into the coop at night and keep reading that you are supposed to keep them in the coop for the first 2 weeks before letting them out and after that they will come back to the coop on their own at night. We lock them up tight at night in the coop but I have to catch them (in the run) and put them in there. My question is: they have had access to the run during the day for the past two days, did I mess things up? Do they have to be confined to the coop exclusively, or can they have access to the run? We have a large property and I want to make sure we don’t have to chase them every night to get them into the coop. Not planning to let them free range for at least a couple weeks until they are a little bigger.
IMG_4742.jpeg
Sorry if this seems like it should be common sense but I just don’t know. Everyone told me chickens are easy but I’m constantly afraid I’m going to do something wrong!

It can be a steep learning curve. You can keep them shut in the coop for a couple of days and see if that encourages them to go back in at night. Or just keep putting them back in and eventually they will get the picture. I think some people put lights in their coop as well?

Do they have the tendency to sleep in the run? Sounds a little odd. Can't see any places they could get off the run, so if the coop has roosts, then it would seem like a more obvious choice. If this truly is your problem, put them in the coop and shut the door just when the sun starts to set. They will then fly to the roosts and spend the night. My guess is that they will learn very quickly. And yes, I wouldn't free range them for quite some time. I wouldn't put lights anywhere

We moved our 5 week old light Brahmas (6 of them) in to the coop/run Tuesday afternoon. Coop is 4’ x 6’ and the run is the same size because we plan to let the free range. I was trying to find out how people get their chickens to come back into the coop at night and keep reading that you are supposed to keep them in the coop for the first 2 weeks before letting them out and after that they will come back to the coop on their own at night. We lock them up tight at night in the coop but I have to catch them (in the run) and put them in there. My question is: they have had access to the run during the day for the past two days, did I mess things up? Do they have to be confined to the coop exclusively, or can they have access to the run? We have a large property and I want to make sure we don’t have to chase them every night to get them into the coop. Not planning to let them free range for at least a couple weeks until they are a little bigger. View attachment 3658520 Sorry if this seems like it should be common sense but I just don’t know. Everyone told me chickens are easy but I’m constantly afraid I’m going to do something wrong!
You could try it leaving the coop door to the run open, then at night, see if they go in, or is that what you mean when you said you have to catch them in there and put them in the coop? If they just huddle up in the run at night and won't go in the coop, you could try putting a battery-operated/light or lantern in there early evening. That usually helps new birds to go in and usually only takes two or three days. We just did that with our 5-month-old silkies, and your birds are smarter than these are. ☺️

Is that the same door they would go in, though if they were free-ranging? I'm guessing there is another door on the other side, and if so, when you let them free range, put the light in that door then.

That looks wide open out there, so I'd suggest maybe getting some wind spinners and flag type things you'd move around every couple of weeks.

You could try it leaving the coop door to the run open, then at night, see if they go in, or is that what you mean when you said you have to catch them in there and put them in the coop? If they just huddle up in the run at night and won't go in the coop, you could try putting a battery-operated/light or lantern in there early evening. That usually helps new birds to go in and usually only takes two or three days. We just did that with our 5-month-old silkies, and your birds are smarter than these are. ☺️

Is that the same door they would go in, though if they were free-ranging? I'm guessing there is another door on the other side, and if so, when you let them free range, put the light in that door then.

That looks wide open out there, so I'd suggest maybe getting some wind spinners and flag type things you'd move around every couple of weeks.
I’m planning on putting an owl decoy and some spinners

You can cup train them. Get a bright colored cup with treats like scratch and meal worms. Train them to come to you and you will never have to chase them again. Also comes in handy if you need them to go up early or quickly.
This is the way! We use a red solo cup. Took about 2 days for them to figure it out.

Just be warned if you use a red solo cup for their treats and YOUR drinks they won't know the difference and beg and beg while you are trying to relax. But then again mine do it with coffee cups, wine glasses , water bottles pretty much anything I have in my hand. When I show them it's just coffee they get offended and start whining. Bless their little hearts.

I’m planning on putting an owl decoy and some spinners
This never works for long.

First, you wrote that your birds were 5 weeks old so they are still chicks and with no adult chickens to teach them about roosting in the coop, they won't do it on their own at that age. They are of an age where they are more likely to huddle up in a pile in the corner somewhere. But with your run being completely vulnerable to predators due to the use of chicken wire instead of 1/2" hardware cloth, this is very bad for them.

Eventually they will use the coop. Can you post pictures of the interior and of all the ventilation you have other than that window?

I would recommend flipping the closure on the window over to have it top hinged so it can be propped or hung open during rain and it will keep water from entering the coop. A glass or lexan window would be better to let light in when it is closed.

One other potential issue is the placement of the coop out in the open like that. Birds feel much more secure near structure: trees, shrubs, buildings so they can run to shelter if they are attacked. And there are tremendous benefits to having lots of shade on the coop and run. If you can relocate the setup to a shadier spot, I would do that.

When you are ready to let them out, start by releasing them about 2 hours before roost time (after they've learned to roost). This way, they will not want to wander far from the coop. Once they routinely go back to roost, you can start releasing them earlier and earlier.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom