Free Range???

You will be surprised the first time you let them out how timid they will be about going very far from their coop and run. Mine only started about 6 weeks ago and they still only go about 60 feet away. They will come back to the coop at dusk if they are used to sleeping in there, so I would suggest letting them out at sundown with maybe an hour before dark. Stay out with them, pull up a lawn chair, and just hang out. They will head back to the roosts when it starts getting dark. Ours won't even stay out for long during the day when it is hot. They like their fans in the coop.

Hi from Ga. I can just echo what everyone else is saying. Until you finally let them out for the first time you will be apprehensive. The first week you will have one fly out but usually stays close until you let it back in. After a week or so they will be happy staying in. Good Luck in the worst situation you can always get another chicken. Depending on where you live you need to worry more about predators.
big_smile.png

Any chicken can and will breach a four foot fence, so don't be surprised if they do. And it really has nothing to do with not having everything they need inside your fence...some chickens just think the grass is always greener on the other side. They don't actually fly over the fence. They hop onto the top and drop onto the other side.

About the only way to deter this is to create an undesirable landing space at the top of your fence....something flimsy that they cannot see well or roost upon when they hop up there....some folks string their fencing with some chicken wire jutting about 4-6 in. above any posts or gates. Sometimes a taught wire about 3 in. above the top of the fence will keep them from landing there.

I don't have any fencing...truly free ranging for mine...they leave the coop and run, and usually spend the hot days inside the pole barn, or someplace shady...at night they congregate around the same areas...they may go out, but will come back, they know where they are safe and fed.

I agree with Beekissed....if it becomes an issue, deter them by doing what they posted...that should take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom