Free ranging and a protector against predators

man_of_fishers

Songster
Jan 13, 2020
Do any of y'all free range your chickens exclusively? If so, do you also have a dog as a primary protector for your free rangers? I have an acre of fenced in yard, but due to both daytime and nighttime predators, I can't let them free range. I've tried and the hawks especially get bold after a few days. In the evening, other predators also get brave. As an example, I have a pool in the backyard and had a hawk swoop in for a kill with 20 people swimming and sitting around the pool, barely 25 yards from the coop. Another time, I was working out back and saw feathers fly in the air as some other predator grabbed a silkie and dragged it into the woods.

I'm not a dog owner currently, but my flock is getting so big (about to pass 30 full grown) that I'm entertaining the idea of converting much of their large critter-proof run to a large, walk-in coop. But to pull all this off, I need a reliable protector for the flock. So I'm considering getting an outdoor-only dog, but I want to be sure before I do so.

Thanks in advance!

Be aware that dogs are also natural predators of chickens and don't come automatically trained to guard instead of eat them.

Many of us live in rural settings and have to cope with a lot of predators. Hawks are even worse than bears and bobcats in my experience. I've also had several neighbor dogs attacks on my flock, and they're worse than bears and bobcats.

I have a very roomy covered/enclosed run. The chickens enjoy free ranging, but prefer to spend even more time in their spacious and safe run. Your plan to upgrade your run is an excellent one.

I've had hawks attack chickens standing literally right at my feet. They are much bolder than any other predator. However, it's been quite a while now since they've been a threat. I attribute it to the crows and ravens that now hang out regularly around my place. They cannot abide any hawk encroaching on their air space, and they dramatically drive them off.

One of the reasons they hang around is that, after experiencing a few rattlesnakes in my run, I have been very consistent in controlling the mice population. The crows and ravens come by every morning like clockwork to pick up the overnight catch. It's the ultimate quid-pro-quo.

I am one of many that employs dogs. They are part of a system that includes fencing (hotwire and otherwise), trapping, occasional shooting, roosters, habitat management, variations in terms of when birds are released when needed, and above all flexibility. Dogs are the most expensive part and do not hit the ground running, but can be a good choice if you are not a fly by night poultry keeper. To get a dog starting from a pup into suitable physical and mental state requires about two years. A lot less starting from adult, but adults may not allow flexibility you can train in for independent operation.

Dogs are like fences, trapping, roosters, habitat management and what you do as a poultry manager, they can also be a problem. You will need to learn a lot about dogs as you go and will fine individual dogs vary more than breeds do. Get advice from those that use and keep dogs successfully. Tell other folks to mind their own business as you have enough distractions to deal with.

Where are you located and indicate climate? Your 1 acre will be tight for livestock guardian dogs used as default option for chickens.

I am one of many that employs dogs. They are part of a system that includes fencing (hotwire and otherwise), trapping, occasional shooting, roosters, habitat management, variations in terms of when birds are released when needed, and above all flexibility. Dogs are the most expensive part and do not hit the ground running, but can be a good choice if you are not a fly by night poultry keeper. To get a dog starting from a pup into suitable physical and mental state requires about two years. A lot less starting from adult, but adults may not allow flexibility you can train in for independent operation.

Dogs are like fences, trapping, roosters, habitat management and what you do as a poultry manager, they can also be a problem. You will need to learn a lot about dogs as you go and will fine individual dogs vary more than breeds do. Get advice from those that use and keep dogs successfully. Tell other folks to mind their own business as you have enough distractions to deal with.

Where are you located and indicate climate? Your 1 acre will be tight for livestock guardian dogs used as default option for chickens.

Thanks for the info! I’m north of Indianapolis. I have 2 acres, with another 2 acres of woods. As mentioned only one acre is fenced in.
My critter-proofed run is about 40x20 and is y’all enough to walk inside throughout. It’s been great, but the chickens have of course scratched the grass to dust in a single summer. I’m still thinking through multiple options. Increasing the run is expensive, but I realize that any option will be expensive, as has been mentioned.

I experimented last year with aviary netting around a large portion of vegetation, which worked for a month before a dedicated Hawk found a way in.

I’ve even toyed with the idea of a lengthy Chunnel that can be attached to the run and moved about to provide fresh grass on a rotation.

I would enlarge and harden run, then if free-range to be continued, reduce it to latter part of day making so dog covers area for shorter period of time. Then dog still needs to be able to protect perimeter and maybe even have access to where chickens roost at night. That way you get most of benefits related to free-range while reducing risks associated with it. I have birds foraging better part of 6 acres when out all the time. When time restricted to latter part of day, the area is closer to 2 acres. Weekends and holidays they get more free-range time. Chickens are harder to protect than sheep and other livestock, as predators can snatch one and run with it even if dog tries to deny. A dog can only protect only so much area when those he defends do not cooperate.

I don't free range anymore due to losses from predators in the past, but do have large covered pens with electric wires around the coops and pens, concrete under the gates and good heavy duty netting covering the pens.
http://www.plamondon.com/wp/faq-simple-electric-fences-chickens/
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg

She is only part of the protection plan. Covered run is plan A. If you work with them consistently, AND know the differences between breeds and even dogs, they can be great. Our Shepherd is much better than our Golden retriever. It became her "job". She can even detect a hawk when she is in the house. She sees them through the glass. At that point you better get out of her way!!!! She is constantly scanning the sky. She will even share her water with them. I only see one downside to this. I often wonder what the chicks would do if a Coyote happened through if she was not out. I believe they would not be afraid of such a predator.... hoping we don't find out...

Attachments

• 20210327_182158.jpg
    20210327_182158.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom