Free ranging chickens! Q and A ( my experience)

Pics
So I free range and have had my chickens for about 3 months now. I lost 2 hens to lord knows what predator because I can't quite pinpoint what it is cause no feathers and have only cats on my trail cams. I think they might have got under my fence and got killed by neighbors dangerous dogs they have but not 100% sure. I had to fix the fence and then move their coop to the other side of the yard and they never go over there anymore. Other than that my NHR hens have been awesome and needed no training other than to show them how to use the Over EZ water feeder with my fingers. The automatically go into their coop at night with no training and I let them out every day before sun up.

Also how many chickens do you guys have in your free range flocks? I currently have 8 hens 4 NHR's and 4 Ameroucanas. Was thinking of adding some buff orpingtons and a couple more Ameroucanas for 12-15 hens. They free range on about 3/4 of my 1 acre parcel. I have 2 coops with total capacity of 24 hens.

here you can ask me and others questions wether you should free range and just some general questions about free ranging!

here are a few!

Q: how long do my chickens free range?
A: 5-12 hours
Q: are my chickens safe when free ranging?
A: it depends on your fence and trees. if you have a broken fence a dog or other animal can get in, and if your yard is open with little to no trees a hawk or eagle might get them.
Q: should I supervise them?
A; you don't need to watch 24\7 but check in to make sure they are safe.
Q: are chickens happier when free ranging?
A: yes! they will be super happy if you free ranged them. mine have always been free range and they tend to be nicer, happier chickens.
(My experience)
Q: will my chickens learn to go back inside the coop when its late?
A: while it depends on the chickens, our chickens always go inside at about 7-8 by themselves. you may have to train them to.

any other questions?
How soon can I free range my chickens?
They are about 9 weeks and are just now getting adjusted to going in coop all night an being in run all day. The property I live on has no fence and I have woods and tree coverage. I do have some foxes and owls and armadillos and other animals that come on my property at times. I would like them to free range but I'm nervous about it. I am new to having chickes so I'm learning everything as I go. Any help with free ranging would be helpful.

I free ranged my chickens at 7 weeks old. It was my first time owning chickens and I had placed them in a bad location and they got under some gaps in my fence as youngsters and I’m assuming paid the price with neighbors dog farm although I’m not 100% sure about that, but I moved them to a better spot and have not had a single problem in several weeks. They don’t seem to be at all curious about what’s over my 5’ fence and do basically everything I want them to with very little to no training at all. I let them out of their coops at about 5:30 am and they go back into their coops just after sundown on their own and I just go out and close the doors. I have a second set of 4 Americanas and they’re about 5 weeks younger and not fully grown yet but I put them into a different coop at night with their starter feed and waterer cause I noticed my older hens are bullies and don’t let them drink or eat much, and if I leave the starter feed out they eat it all. I plan to have them all share the big coop once I can take them off the starter feed and they get a little bigger. Anyway I’ve found these chickens to be the easiest animal I’ve ever had to take care of

Back
Top Bottom