Free Ranging Close To Someone Else's Free Ranging Flock

darkbaysfordays

Songster
May 13, 2020
Spencer, NY
Hello! I currently have six 4-week old chicks (3 SLW, 3 JG) and five 2-week old chicks (Ameraucanas). I bought them all as pullets and so far none look like roos but it is early to know for sure.

My husband and I purchased our property last August and I couldn't wait to finally start my own flock this year! We are in the country on 30+ acres but wouldn't you know it, we got a new neighbor directly across the street shortly after we bought the property who brought his adult flock with him. He's got a mixed flock (Barred Rocks, Rhodeys, Orpingtons, and a Speckled Sussex who is just the sassiest girl). He has one Rhodey roo and must've hatched or somehow acquired another roo (not sure what mix he is) this spring because he just started showing up too and hasn't quite figured out how to crow.

Anyway, his chickens LOVE my yard (and maybe me?). I think they spend all day at my house and then go across the road to sleep and lay. When I get home from work, they run over and greet me. I've never fed them but have picked up the roo and made him shame selfie for spurring me (I know, I know...). The neighbor has apologized and brought us eggs and I don't really mind. Obviously chickens crossing the road has caused a traffic jam or two and can be a little scary. Knock on wood, none have been hit yet.

I would love to free range my own girls once they're old enough. I know they inevitably don't stay where you want them to and predator loss is real. My question is whether it would be necessary to get my own roo and/or if I have any chance of my chicks joining his flock. I don't really want my chickens in the road (or his for that matter) so I could in theory put up a fence by the road but then I'd have to figure out a gate for the driveway too. I'm not sure if getting my own roo would keep his flock away. I know someone is going to say I should tell him to fence his own yard but I don't really want to be that neighbor.

A neighbor even further down the road has a flock of guinea hens and before my chicken-keeping neighbor moved in, the guineas would come down and hang out in my yard every day. I don't know if I have exquisite grass and bugs or what, but my yard is the cool place to be if you're a bird apparently 🤷‍♀️

Has anyone had chickens and tried to NOT integrate flocks between neighbors? 🤪

My neighbors roos try to come over at least once a week. My roo chases them back home. But my roo is an adult and knows his property line. If I was in your position I might try just fencing in a part of your yard that you want them to "free range" in. Sounds like his roos want to add your hens to their flock. If you decide to get a roo you will need to get one the same age as then hens you have, and at that age the roo will not be old enough to protect your land. Also the adult roos coming over could hurt your young roo.

So THAT'S why the chicken crossed the road! For YOUR yard. :gig(Sorry, HAD to say it)....

As to the root of your question. If you free range your hens, will they join the other flock?

In a word YES. Those roosters will be over gathering your hens for their flock in a heart beat. They already feel very comfortable in your yard. You obviously have very tasty bugs or plants or something, or its just cooler.

So unless you want to be chasing your hens constantly, generally roosting with the roosters in your neighbor's coop, you'll want a fence.

...or you could end up with them all roosting in your coop, and feeding them all.

Or half and half.

But this flock will be ONE in no time. The roosters will make sure of that.

LofMc

PS: If you get your own rooster, you can grow your flock, but be aware that your rooster will most likely fight with the other roosters. It could get bloody.

Remember the adage....good fences make good neighbors. I suggest that may be where you want to go unless you want to integrate with your neighbor.

Last edited:
My neighbors roos try to come over at least once a week. My roo chases them back home. But my roo is an adult and knows his property line. If I was in your position I might try just fencing in a part of your yard that you want them to "free range" in. Sounds like his roos want to add your hens to their flock. If you decide to get a roo you will need to get one the same age as then hens you have, and at that age the roo will not be old enough to protect your land. Also the adult roos coming over could hurt your young roo.

Technically his roos don't know my hens exist yet, they're still inside my house. I fear you may be right though that I'll need to create a fenced free range area or fence my yard 👎

So THAT'S why the chicken crossed the road! For YOUR yard. :gig(Sorry, HAD to say it)....

My husband and I keep saying it too!

What's more awkward is when you happen to be outside and they're standing in the road when cars are trying to go by. I've shooed them out of the road and had people say, "good luck with your chickens!" They aren't even mine! 🤦‍♀️

I can have similar issues with just my chickens that form discrete flocks where ranges do not overlap. Rooster(s) for each group of females needed to keep separation. Extremely skewed sex ratio make keeping groups apart using territoriality more difficult.

Fences used for most yards, especially where looks are important, are less effective defining ranging habits for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom