Free Ranging duck laid eggs in chicken coop

hallnoaks

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2022
I have free ranging Muscovy ducks. One decided to lay what are most likely fertilized eggs in my chicken coop. The duck and one of my chickens are staying on the eggs regularly. I have automatic door that opens morning and night.

My question is if the eggs hatch what do I need to do to ensure the ducklings make it until they can free range with their friends on my pond nearby?

I have an automatic door because I work two or three days a week and can't be here at night sometimes.

You could build some kind of out of the elements shelter
with food and water and move the mom duck and the eggs
in it.
Or you could leave the eggs in the coop with food and water and
just have the hen stay with them when
they hatch and grow up.

I dont have any problem leaving them in the coop. My challenge is my chickens like the duck are free ranging during the day. The food and water for the chickens is inside the coop so they go back and forth throughout the day then stay in the coop all night after dark when auto door shuts.

I'm not sure how to set the coop up for the ducklings and the hen after they hatch. It's a very large coop and I only have 4 chickens. The coop is 8x8x8. The main problem is the Auto Door is set up to open in the morning and shut at night but I can set it to open and close however I want with a timer I built.

My main problem is accommodating the hen and the ducks and my free ranging chickens and at the same time protecting the ducklings from getting out or worse yet a snake from getting in.

Maybe I'll just have to build a coop just for the hen and ducklings until they grow up.

Back
Top Bottom