free ranging geese?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvchicks8

Songster
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
new Hampshire
If you free rang geese in the summer and spring do you put them in at night or not? Mine hate to go in during warm months???

If you don't you risk predators getting them.I lost geese years ago to 2 very large raccoons.......... I also had my dog attak one and tear his skin off his neck, but vet saved them and they became friends later, when she grew up. give them a handful of feed every night in pen and slowly herd them in..... they can be trained.

I don't put mine up at all and in 2 years I've only lost one that got too close to one of our tied-up dogs. However, I was told that my geese were across the road at the neighbor's house this morning so I guess they'll get a pen made until they can figure out how to stay home
hmm.png

I don't put mine in a pen, but they hang out pretty near my trailer at night. And I know when they're being hassled by a critter as opposed to just the usual goose hysterics.

Geese are not immune to predation. Yes, they're large birds. But they're basically stuck on the ground, not very fast (relative to most predators), extremely clumsy when flustered and despite their hissy exterior their true demeanor is quiet wussy. If you leave them out of a predator proof pen anytime, day or night, you risk predation.

That said, no, ours are not penned at night. Geese don't sleep like other birds do. They cat nap all night and day and forage in between their catnaps. They're incredibly fond of their freedom and will not go in willingly, on their own. I used to herd them in every night, but as you might imagine it got old real quick. And, frankly, they make a heck of a poopy mess wherever they sleep. So ours sleep outside, wherever they so choose. You should know and accept the risk if you choose to leave yours out, though. It is there.

Mine stay under my deck against the house all day. Right now they are in at night as it is about 5 degrees, that said they are let out early and make a lot of fuss when I put them in.

Quote:
I beg to disagree, my geese would enter their fenced and fortified pen any time under only voice command. Usually they would be waiting in the pen when I would come out around sun set to close the gate, give some supplemental feed, and turn the juice on to the hot wires that protected the pen. In fact they often became loud if I had not made my visit by full dark.

Quote:
I beg to disagree, my geese would enter their fenced and fortified pen any time under only voice command. Usually they would be waiting in the pen when I would come out around sun set to close the gate, give some supplemental feed, and turn the juice on to the hot wires that protected the pen. In fact they often became loud if I had not made my visit by full dark.

Disagree with what? Once again you have only supported exactly what I said. I'm beginning to think you do so under the guise of disagreement just so you can be the one to say it.
hmm.png

Going in "on voice command" and/or because of routine limit feeding is not "willing, on their own" both are trained behaviors produced and continually assisted by a human.

Mine are the last animals to go in every night. They play a game of pretending they're going to get in the coop and then run off at the last minute. They have to do that two or three times a night. I know if I left them out they would be gone - we have a bobcat in the area. I don't mind doing it. I enjoy my geese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom