Free-ranging in the rain?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hd_darcy, Jun 27, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Those of you who free range, do you allow your chickens out when it's raining out? I guess they can decide if they want to come "out" or not if I got open up the ramp...hmm... I feel like this is probably a silly question, but I'll send anyway! [​IMG] Thanks!

2. chicnfarmer

chicnfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    If I know it is going to rain all day I leave them in, but if it is nice when I get up I go out and let them out and they can decide what they want to do.

3. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I let mine do what they want, some of them head for the coop and some act like nothing is going on and keep ranging, all my older hens stay out because they know the rain brings worms to the surface..[​IMG]

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Shoot mine freernage better int he rain lots of yummy worms to eat....

5. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

I open the door & let them decide to get wet or not. There's plenty of cover outside, so they can roam in the rain or hide under shelter & pick up the easy to find worms.

6. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thank you everyone! I opened the door, and they didn't hesitate to flee the coop! [​IMG]

7. nikischicks

nikischicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    NE/Mid Ohio
    Mine were out last night and it was a nice light rain, it started to pour for a minute and they all ran back to the run as fast as they could, waited till it lightened up and went back out. It was pretty funny though, watching them all scoot back to home base.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    There's not any type of weather that my chickens haven't been out in - rain, snow, ice, hail. They know when to seek cover.

9. MaureenL128

MaureenL128 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    good question darcy! i have wondered about this too. they are calling for rain any minute here on long island and i think i will try leaving it up to them this time instead of putting them in.

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

The only time mine don't go out of the coop is when there is frozen white stuff on the ground.

They are true southern chickens, lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by