Free-ranging in the rain?

hd_darcy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
Those of you who free range, do you allow your chickens out when it's raining out? I guess they can decide if they want to come "out" or not if I got open up the ramp...hmm... I feel like this is probably a silly question, but I'll send anyway!
smile.png
Thanks!

If I know it is going to rain all day I leave them in, but if it is nice when I get up I go out and let them out and they can decide what they want to do.

I let mine do what they want, some of them head for the coop and some act like nothing is going on and keep ranging, all my older hens stay out because they know the rain brings worms to the surface..
old.gif

Mine were out last night and it was a nice light rain, it started to pour for a minute and they all ran back to the run as fast as they could, waited till it lightened up and went back out. It was pretty funny though, watching them all scoot back to home base.

There's not any type of weather that my chickens haven't been out in - rain, snow, ice, hail. They know when to seek cover.

good question darcy! i have wondered about this too. they are calling for rain any minute here on long island and i think i will try leaving it up to them this time instead of putting them in.

Back
Top Bottom