Free ranging multiple flocks

We have a mixed flock now, a mix of Cochin bantams, silkies, white rock, delaware and buff orps. We used to have Polish chickens, but they were very aloof, they liked to hang out amongst themselves, and used to roost together, apart from everyone else. Because there were 6 out 7 males in the polish, I had to get rid of all of them. I kept 2 which were not in best shape. They are bottom of the social order, which suits everyone better, cos the Polish also tended to bully everyone else.
5162780905_6f22e5f1c0_o.jpg

The original mixed flock, which included all 9 Polish chickens, 7 were males. It was getting loud and chaotic.

5230185889_25cac0fc6d_o.jpg

The remaining flock has only 2 cochin bantam cockerels ruling the flock now. There are some young male silkies, but they haven't caused any uproars, so they are staying. The Cochin boys are very accepting of the silkie juveniles, inc the males.

I got rid of 2 Cochin bantam boys because they were fighting till there was blood, and so these most hyper ones had to go. Very sad for me, cos I loved all 4 Cochin boys and I cried each time I parted with one of them.
5165276805_411c58f6fa_o.jpg

Of the original 4 Cochin bantam boys, only Smokey and Ashley are left.

Now that I've experienced crested breed such as the Polish, I'd say they are best to stay with their own kind. I'll also suggest that docile breeds can stay together in a flock, like my remaining ones. I don't have male rocks or male delawares, so I can't comment on your set up, but I think too many roos in a flock will just fight. I had a good ratio of male to female, but 2 of my cochins still fought. I think once there is far more female than males, perhaps the situation will be better in a mixed flock.

As I often do, I tend to agree with Pop. Since your flocks are separate, whenever you try to mix them, the roosters will determine which is the dominant rooster. They might reach an accommodation and set up a good partnership in taking care of the flock or they might fight to the death. Either way, they will fight. It may be a quick fight or a long sequence of fights. They will also go through the process of determining the pecking order. In a flock, each and every chicken needs to know where it stands socially. If they know their proper social order and stick with it, the flock can exist quite peacefully, but it can sometimes be pretty violent getting to that peaceful state. Every time you separate them for a while then let them mix again, they go through this process. So if you ever successfully mix them, don't separate them again unless it is permanent.

If you do successfully integrate them, they will probably hang out in separate groups a lot of the time, but they will also mix at times. Initially they will probably stick with their original flocks, but eventually they may make friends with the new group and start hanging out in different groups, either during the day or at roost time. Any of the roosters will mate with any of the hens so you give up on any purebred chickens. Even the nondominant roosters will find a way to mate with any of the hens whether the dominant rooster allows that or not.

I don't know what your goals are. I suggest you either keep doing what you are doing or go through the process one time, realizing things will be quite dramatic and risky if you do it.

I think that your roosters could be a problem, but I doubt the hens will. Having multiple flocks, I always free range them together, and nothing ever happens. But I don't have a rooster. When I did have a rooster, I only had one so it wasn't a problem. But I have a friend who's roo killed another one in free range when they had been let out together, usually very friendly and not bothering eachother. But I certainly wouldn't put out your show birds at the same time. I agree with Kathy on this one. But your roos would like to be let out from time to time, I'm sure, and if you just leave them in you're gonna get a hell of a lot of crowing.
roll.png

Quote:
Nick,
You have multiple flocks?
idunno.gif

I agree, when free ranging without a rooster there isn't usually a problem. Though, I do worry that the silly girls aren't smart enough to be careful without a rooster to sound an alert to danger.

Quote:
Nick,
idunno.gif

I agree, when free ranging without a rooster there isn't usually a problem. Though, I do worry that the silly girls aren't smart enough to be careful without a rooster to sound an alert to danger.

I did until August. Right now I don't. But I will later this month.

True about the danger thing. But in Atlanta there isn't much to worry about. Scott, you're not in a very urban area, are you?

Last edited:
Morning...we also rotate flocks. They have a time or two gotten out together and seems rotating works best for us, although it would be nicer if they could all get out at the same time.

Quote:
Nick,
idunno.gif

I did until August. Right now I don't. But I will later this month.

True about the danger thing. But in Atlanta there isn't much to worry about. Scott, you're not in a very urban area, are you?

Nick

I live outside of Cartersville on about 20 acres.....not urban here at all, Praise Glory

Back
Top Bottom