Free ranging owners

About 100 birds on 3 acres of pasture. It is fenced, though, but filled with trees, shrubs, and various other greenery. Never lost a bird, except one hen who was brooding in the very back of the pasture without my knowledge. She got taken the very night before I found her nest.

Last edited:
I have 3 acres total, but my 7 chickens stay on the front acre in the trees, shrubs, and under the porch during hot summer days to take a nice dust bath.

Twenty-five birds free with fences that allow passage of chickens. Range used only about 2 acres with food and water supplied. I suspect range used would jump up to 20 acres if food and water not supplied by me and they would keep weight on. Area in yellow approximates 2 acres. Most of area below and to left of yellow dot is ours, rest not.

41527_slide2.gif

Last edited:
I have 40+ birds that stick pretty much to about 2 of our 7 acres--there is more but they stay close to the chicken coop where their food and water is, clean up the garden or under the house deck. We also keep vigil and chase them out of the front yard. I've got a lot of woods and a big windbreak of spruce trees on the property border--they like to hang in those and scratch around.

Back
Top Bottom