Free ranging problem with neighbor

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are handling all the comments very gracefully, CLchickenmama.

If you get a few t posts and some chicken wire you could add an extra area to that run and let them range there while you are home. Most of my chickens will stay inside a 4’ chicken wire fence, especially if they don’t have access to it all the time (less time to plan their escape!) And if it’s just T posts you can pull them out and change it up if it’s not working for them.

I am also aware that their elderly dog wanders into our yard because they don’t have a fence and just let their dog out. Also- both of her teenage children play with my chickens.
So yard sharing....all willingly for both parties?
Would have been nice to know that part from the start.

I'll jump in and say that run isn't nearly big enough for all those birds. Understand other commitments, other needs, but as soon as you can expand that run - even if with two $12 rolls of 50' plastic poultry netting and some 5' step in poles to support it (say, $40 all told) - I encourage you to do so.

They will still need to be in run/coop overnight for predator protection, and you should be nearby during the day when they use the expanded area [just in case] - but I worry that during the winter, with just that space, you may start to develop behavioral problems in the flock.

Last edited:
I hear your frustration. It stinks to have your method/routine be forced to change so randomly.

I completely understand your desire to let your chicks roam free and wild; but perhaps fencing in your yard would offer them the most freedom without giving your neighbor anything to complain about. Pets and kids never annoy their owners/parents as much as everyone else. It is your neighbors prerogative to not have your chickens there, regardless of what benefits you think they offer. And regardless of if it’s a patch of weeds or a rose garden.
Good Luck!

Ok so let me start by stating - I absolutely do not regret free ranging my chickens. They are healthy, happy, produce good eggs and it’s less work.

But now my neighbor has suddenly decided they are a problem after MONTHS. I can’t suddenly make them not free range. I have been making them stay in the run more because of a fox that ran into my yard (attempt was not successful) but still- after like 10 am my chickens go out in the world and find their food. And I would just like to state- I only have 5 birds left. We got 8 originally and it’s my first flock so I wanted to start small and learn. We are surrounded by woods and fields but sometimes they go in her yard. It feels more frustrating than anything else because they don’t actually do anything over there except eat bugs. She doesn’t have a garden in any form- it’s just a lawn.Maybe I am just looking to vent...
Would your neighbors get along better with you if you gave them some fresh yard eggs?

Ok so let me start by stating - I absolutely do not regret free ranging my chickens. They are healthy, happy, produce good eggs and it’s less work.

But now my neighbor has suddenly decided they are a problem after MONTHS. I can’t suddenly make them not free range. I have been making them stay in the run more because of a fox that ran into my yard (attempt was not successful) but still- after like 10 am my chickens go out in the world and find their food. And I would just like to state- I only have 5 birds left. We got 8 originally and it’s my first flock so I wanted to start small and learn. We are surrounded by woods and fields but sometimes they go in her yard. It feels more frustrating than anything else because they don’t actually do anything over there except eat bugs. She doesn’t have a garden in any form- it’s just a lawn.Maybe I am just looking to vent...
Good fences make good neighbors! Or, clipping a wing may do!

I feel sorry that she is your neighbor and wants to complain about a non issue. Does she have dogs? Maybe that is why.

I had a similar event - my gals (my first flock of 8 ), were going into a neighbor's yard. We're on very friendly terms, and they said they enjoyed seeing them, since the couple had grown up on farms with chickens. All good...
But then, unbeknownst to me, the husband spent a great deal of time creating a beautiful flower garden. My girls destroyed it ! The wife called me, and sadly asked that I contain the birds. I felt awful.
Most of my yard is already fenced - so I got some of that plastic mesh fencing , in black, and sealed off the open area between our houses - though the "fence" barely shows and it looks open.
Now - happy neighbors, happy birds, and happy bird owner !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom